Booting from a USB External Hard Disk

I have an older desktop that does not have a DVD in it.

the unattended install that I have created is 2.5GBs and fits on DVD.

I was wondering if I boot from an external USB hard drive with the install files from the DVD?

note: i do not want to go out and buy a DVD drive since this is a company computer and I would have to wait weeks for the authorization of a new DVD drive.

ok... thats good to know.

the drive is recognized as bootable in the bios and when i do an F12 it shows up as one of the devices to boot from.

how do i go about making the USB drive bootable?

do I need a tool to do this?

Edited by metalguy90

It may help to have a screwdriver to open the External Harddrive case. And average finger nail size to switch the jumper.

Once you open the case, pull the Harddrive out. Where the cables come out there should be 5-6 rows of 2 vertical prongs. There should be a little colored brick (black or blue). That's the jumper. Take it off and set it to (Master or Primary - Same thing). That can be found by reading the top label of the harddrive. If there's nothing about jumpers on there. Look the model up on the internet and get the product guide.

Jumper Picture:

http://www.mysuperpc.com/hdu/wd1200jb_jumper_pins.jpg

http://www.hiroinc.com/Harddrive/hd2.jpg

Hope that helps.

Derek.

how do i go about making the USB drive bootable?

do I need a tool to do this?

Boot from a Win98 CD and format the USB drive using the /s option. You could also try to make it bootable through the SYS command:

SYS [drive]:

...but that might fail if the disk already contains data. Formatting the drive will erase all data from the disk!

Edited by Ctrl-X