DNS - Shared file problem

dkblee

Hi! I've just re-install one of my file server(domain controller) running win2k svr standard edn and restored back the shared folder. I've also run dcpromo and install the dns and dhcp component. The server is using integrated AD. The problem i encountered now is that, whenever i map to that shared drive using the server name. The network drive will be disconnected by itself after 1-2 days. I will need to disconnect it and restart the pc in order to map back that drive. It work fine if i map using the ip of that server instead of the server name. Any idea what's wrong here? (In our network, there are 2 DC) Thanks.

Hi!, We are using login script for network drive to that AD server. This script or manual mapping will not work once the mapping got disconnected. I will need to delete the mapping and restart the pc in order to map it back.

I do not know if this will solve your problem but it does not hurt to try,

There is a feature in windows that will disconnect active network drives on the client but will 'remember' them in the configuration. The driveletter will be taken and can not be re used untill disconnected completely.

To turn this off type the following command on the client machine.

net config server /autodisconnect:-1

This will configure the 'server service' on the client so it will keep all network connections active in stead of placing them in the disconnection state.

If this does not fix your problem, please check for Event error's regarding network or logon error's as there may be a problem then.

Hope it hepls,