DNS prob want help!

NaelAmer

Hi guys

I have 3 PCs connted to a switch, all WindowsXP pro, one of them is my main PC(server) and i need to connect to this PC from the other 2, after setting up all IP addresses and everything, now i can see my main PC(server) from my other 2 PCs when i browse but i cant access, then i found i can access the main PC(server) through IP, I noticed its a DNS problem maybe, so i edited my HOSTS file in one of the PCs and i added the main PC(server) address and name, then it works.

I tried the same thing with the 2nd PC to access the main PC(server) but still i cant even after i edited my HOSTS, i think something wrong which makes my PC not to read the HOSTS file maybe, what u think i need really help, actually this is a small example i did about a big network at my company..

Helppppppppppppppppp :no:

if i'm not clear pls tell me to clarify :blushing:

Edited by NaelAmer

Is your "main PC" a Windows 2000 or 2003 server? If so, is it acting as a DNS server? And again, if so, are your client PCs using it for DNS resolution? If you have your computers all pointing to some DNS server out on the internet, then you can't reasonably expect them to reach each other via DNS.

offcourse XP doesnt have a DNS thats why i'm using HOSTS, i dont have to anyway but i cant access my server with the name.. have to write it as IP

my main PC is XP too i dont think it works as DNS but what i mean i didnt face this problem before, i mean to use even HOSTS, i just browse my network and find all PCs then i can access them, now i cant, i can only with the IP not with the name

Edited by NaelAmer

In the old days network browsing was accomplished using NetBIOS, a hideous security hole of a protocol if ever there was one. If you don't have NetBIOS on your computers then you'll either need to install it, use the HOST file method, or rummage in the \Support directory for netbeui (don't even remember how to spell it). The one advantage to the very old and completely unsupported netbeui is that it's not routeable, making it slightly more secure.

At home I have everything set to static IPs and just use the HOST file. Something else to keep in mind as this may be related to one of your problems - you cannot create a share on a computer and have another computer connect into it without using an account that has a password. You can use any easy to remember silly password you like, just make sure you have one assigned to all of your different user accounts.