Slow opening of windows

The Jeep

Hi-

I have just reinstalled my OS and everything else. The install's been going well, nice and stable, however I find that, say, from inside My Computer, my individual drive icons take about 2 seconds to open.

I am running Windows 2000 Pro SP4 on an AMD Athlon 1.2GHz system (Asus A7V133 mobo) with 1 x HDD on the primary master IDE (partitioned as 40GB C: drive (system) and 80GB D: drive (data, docs, etc). I also have 2x40GB UDMA-5 drives on the primary Promise ATA100 IDE with a 4th 32GB UDMA-4 drive on the secondary of this controller (the board has 4 IDE controllers).

The drives weren't as slow to open before installing some of the software/hardware. Could it be my anti-virus protection program? It's just a bit annoying and I wonder if anyone can see anything obvious that might be causing the delay. More info can be given if required. Thanks very much!

Thanks Chili, but my OS is Windows 2000. Also, it's not the start-up time that's bothering me but the delay in opening a drive icon and then the folders inside (each folder and sub-folder has the same delay). It takes about 2 seconds, which is a LONG time, and I'm sure it didn't used to do that! Cheers, Jeep.