Domain Questions

1. I have a member server (my understanding is a member server is a WS 2003 (or 2000) that has been joined to the domain). This member server is currently in the computers container in AD - there is another container called Domain Controllers - What woudl happen if i drag this WS2003 member server to the domain controllers container - what could i do or not do?

2. Is ISA Server best to be part of a domain or outside of the domain? Main purpose would be to allow users to access the internet via conditions we have set?

3. What is the point of using Sharepoint (free version)? How would it benefit our organisation of 200+ users?

4. What is the point of a subnet mask?

Thanks in advance

Edited by Bad boy Warrior

1) unless the server is a DC you will not be able to drag it to the domain controllers OU.

2) ISA server should be part of the domain so it can be managed, but this is your outlet to the internet. everything gets funneled through the ISA server

3)Sharepoint Services (or windows Sharepoint Services) is a free version of windows Sharepoint Portal.

Windows Sharepoint Services

check it out there to see what you can do with it

4)Subnet mask helps you to keep different IP ranges sepreted and tells you what parts of the IP are used by the network and by the user

Thanks.

1. I tried to drag a member server which is not a domain controller but it allowed me - i dont have dcpromo set up on it - so how come it let me drag it?

4. Could you give me a brief example please? I have subnet mask 255.255.255.0 with users having a range of IP addresses 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.50 so how could i use it if i had another set of users (about 10) and what would i benefit from?

Thanks again for your help

1. You can drag it where ever.. it really doesnt matter all that much..

2. You wouldnt benifit from it unless you wanted security. Subnet masking isnt easy to just "Touch the surface" then expect you to manulate it. But...

with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and an ip address of 192.168.1.2 - 50.. your subnet is the entire 192.168.1.x address (minus 192.168.1.0 and .255)

To use "subnetting" with the second 10 computers.. you would have to use an ip address with a seperate network address.. so in this case to keep it simple 192.168.2.x. then you could label the computers with 192.168.2.1-10.

Now.. for those computers to communicate with each other you will need a router(or a layer3 switch) in between them.

here is a buddy of mine's site

http://www.routeralley.com/ra/

and here is the ip subnetting document if you want to know more

http://www.routeralley.com/ra/docs/ipv4.pdf

Thanks.

1. I tried to drag a member server which is not a domain controller but it allowed me - i dont have dcpromo set up on it - so how come it let me drag it?

4. Could you give me a brief example please? I have subnet mask 255.255.255.0 with users having a range of IP addresses 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.50 so how could i use it if i had another set of users (about 10) and what would i benefit from?

Thanks again for your help

didn't think you could drag a non DC coomputer into that OU, ahh well live and learn.

4. look at the examples chili left, those are really good, sebnetting helps when you are trying to break up users because a network segment is saturated with communications or when you have users at different phycical locations or floors of a building etc. unless those additional 10 user use a huge amount of BW you probably don't need to subnet yet, unless you are looking to break up your network segments and make them more efficent