Keeps losing network connection

Ski2slow

It's an annoying problem that I keep losing network connection. I have to reboot my computer to reestablish connection. I'm connected through a cable modem to Charter Pipeline and not sure whether the problem is with XP or Charter. I did not have this issue prior to upgrading to XP when running Windows 98SE.

I'm open to suggestions!!!!!

KS

I am having the same problem with my DSL ICS client.

I share my DSL connection using XP on 2 puters, one directly connected via USB Alcatel to BellSouth, client is connected via hub to server both using NIC's.

Connection works great as well as LAN.

Only problem is with semingly random disconnects that is ONLY corrected by rebooting server.

At least I would like to know is how to restart the Inet connection if it is disconnected.

I checked all my services before and after a disconnect and do not see any services that are stopped.

The disconnect only occurs when the client is using the connection.

Also it only occurs when the client is connected but does something (meaning that if the connection is active and client is just sitting there not scrolling to different pages or sites, the connection is not broken).

Can there be a conflict concerning Client wanting to be server causing this? I did get an error a few times about this.

I know this is not a solution, but rather support for (OUR) problem.

First suggestion to both posts -- make sure your Cable/DSL modems are running with the absolute latest firmware. I started experiencing similar problems (had to reset the cable modem every day or so) in order to reestablish service. Something wrong with the dynamic IP address leasing service in the modem under XP. After upgrading firmware though - haven't had to reset the modem in a month!

Also - a curiousity question for TomB... how do you know the connection is active (and working) unless you do try to "scroll to a new page" or something? If you are relying on the little green lights on the DSL modem - don't. Under these circumstances they lie! They are getting a ping response - but the IP address assigned internally to your network are the problems.

LS

Thank LS

You are right, I am relying on the green light and I do believe the connection is still active, as indicated in the icon next to it in the tray.

Even so, why is this occuring only when the client is running?

After this post, I will go to the client machine and see how long it takes before disabling the connection and try to log what is occuring.

Concerning upgrading the softw, I guess I would have to contace BellSouth fastaccess to see it this is available for XP and their Alcatel USB modems.