Games that I can and cannot use in Vista x64

croc

Doom 3 runs just fine, (a bit slow) but it is not particularily relevant as it is not dependent on the direct x code...

Silent Hunter 3 will install, but will not run because (even in compatibility mode for XP) it doesn't see an OS to run on.

Next few days I'll try Hitman 2, two versions of Combat flt Sim, and two versions of F1...

I'd appreciate anyone's input / fixes / workarounds for these or any other games that they have found enjoyable over the years.

(I was not happy when XP wouldn't run Terminal Velocity... Never could get the sound codec to work!)

Edit: Combat flt sim runs, but I sure wouldn't want to play it... I could get maybe .5 FPS. (and this is a MS game?)

I'll try to get the time tomorrow to load hitman2 or one of the ea F1 titles.....

Croc

Edited by croc

WoW under build 5472 32-bit is kinda touch and go, for me anyway. i have my system set up with XP on one partition, Vista on another, and my Program Files folder on a third. when i tried to install WoW under Vista, it wouldn't let me unless i chose to install the default path (to Vista's Program Files folder) or uninstalled the existing install and reinstalled. so i opened the existing WoW folder and ran it. it worked. while playing, tho, it tends to spike on system resources usage. i don't know if that's due to running under Vista, or if it's cause i didn't install it thru the WoW installer. but it runs and i've played for a good amount of time. but i wouldn't recommend it right away til it's settled better. it's not nice to be in the middle of a raid or instance and the system lags for about 2minutes and when it catches up you're totally lost to what happened, if not dead.

dunno if anyone finds this interesting or not, but out of the few games i've tried

all using vista beta 2 x64 and xp x64

halo works fine, although get lower fps than xp, tried halo custom edition and some maps big maps its unplayable but fine in normal xp.

flatout 1 & 2 work fine! except for flatout 2 won't run in xp?

also the same with the quake 4 demo, runs fine in vista, but won't run in xp

need for speed most wanted i found runs fine as well!

actually surprised more things work in vista than x64 xp! at least out of the little testing i've done with games :)

Biggest problem right now is the lack of proper driver support... For example, ATi's Beta 2 Vista drivers don't include OpenGL support, meaning that OGL games such as Doom 3, Quake 4, Prey and other will not load.

Also, making games compatible for x64 edition is made simpler by installing a virutal machine or having a second computer which has the 32-bit OS installed to allow you to get a few work arounds....

For example, Star Wars Rebellion (Released in '98), but through the retooling of a NoCD patch you can manually install the game yourself and make it work...

As I always say "Just because someone says no doesn't mean don't, just means they would prefer if you didn't...."

If the software tells you to back off, take a different approach....

In other news Need for Speed Most Wanted works fine, though with ATi's drivers you can expect a psychadelic pixelation problem in all games which use DX9, which since OGL has been disabled means that ALL games will show some sort of psychadelic pixelation problem... I've actually all but stopped using my gaming rig until RC1 comes out...