help in reducing windows using nlite

SilverArrow

I am trying to reduce my nlite install of 240 mb even further but I don’t know if I can remove the following from nlite without any adverse effects as I’m not exactly sure of what they do. I will be the only user on this computer.

Here is the list of stuff I will like to remove if not needed:

– extra fonts

– administrator vb scripts

– mac bridge

– map network drives

– disk and profile quota

– text services framework

Also, are there any services or components that are needed for personal internet use and peer to peer filesharing that I should keep?

Thanks. :yes:

– extra fonts

I sometimes remove it sometimes not, never saw a difference but that's because an app may switch to another font if the specified one is missing.

– administrator vb scripts

If you don't know what it is remove it.

– mac bridge

If you don't connect virtually (by selecting lets say 2 LAN cards and choose bridge) you don't need it.

– map network drives

To make a share represent a virtual drive letter, may be autoconnected on logon.

– disk and profile quota

To assign specific amount of disk for some other user to whom you are an Administrator.

– text services framework

Mainly for a Eastern countries and their specific languages

But all of this is small, what you can do is to check the sizes of the remaining components and decide on some big ones if you need them.

Thank you for your great explanation and quick reply nuhi. I did check the sizes of the remaining components and it looks like I may be able to make a nlited windows xp with approximately 145mb iso file.

I am thinking of removing the printer driver but keep the printer hardware support. I would like to know if this will still allow me install my printer along with the drivers that came with my printer.

I was hoping to do the same for the scanner support, but I did not see scanner support in the hardware catagory, only under the drivers catagory. So I don't if I will be able to install my scanner with the drivers that came with it, if I remove the scanner drivers fromr under drivers catagory.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

You should be able to install it with the drivers removed, if otherwise let me know.

Best would be to install on another partition just for trial, if you don't have another partition then play in the virtual machines but then drivers won't have any effect because it doesn't use your real hardware.

Be careful, I mess up sometimes too, also be ready to reinstall if needed, don't start installing programs until you're sure that all drivers are in place.

the only one i keep is the map network drives

the others i'd remove and not think twice about it :)

map network drives is one of the about 10 things that i don't remove..

the rest is useless (to me )

Thanks for pointing out those other tips out. I would like to know what ActiveX for streaming video is used or needed for example: wmp internet browsing etc. I am also planning to remove the scanner and printer drivers with nlite but I’m but not sure if this will prevent me from installing a printer and scanner with the drivers that came with their respective cds.

Also I have only the one computer I use with my hard drive partitioned in 3 parts C, D, and E, and would like to know if I can install a nlited version of windows over my current copy without reformatting my hd as I don’t want to lose the data on partitions D and E ( I do have most of it back-up) . Will that just erase the old copy of windows (overwriting the old) and installing the new copy or will it keep the old and just add changes. I Don’t want my registry to become corrupted with both old and new entries if it’s not treated as a clean windows install.

Thanks.