Windows 98 First Edition & Network Neighborhood

Atmosphere XG

Hello all! :hello:

Last week, I got Optimum Online. I went through a whole ordeal enabling my Network Neighborhood on Windows 98 First Edition. Seems like there's not much information on how to configure your Modem -> Ethernet Connection -> Network Neighborhood.

I actually, had to use the USB Connection at first, seeing that Optimum Online's installation Cd, couldn't find my DEC 21143 Adaptor.

Funny thing, is my second Hard Drive is exactly like my first hard drive (I have a replica of my Motherboard and, Hard Drive) and, it was found.

So, I have Optimum Online installed in my second Hard Drive (Which I use primarily for storage) and my first Hard Drive has Opera, and Internet Explorer.

Upon powering up the Computer, I keep getting an enter a Network Password. I really don't know what I did, for this to pop up every time I restart my computer.

I also installed it (Optimum Online) on my Windows XP computer, to see if I was getting the advertised speed. Sure enough, I met the benchmark of 10 Mbps. When, I tried the same benchmark on the Windows 98 First Edition machine, I'm only at 6.66 Mbps. :huh:

Now. When I was using the USB connection, I attained 3.4 Mbps. Which was great :thumbup until I saw what my Windows XP computer can do using the Ethernet Cable. This is when I was determined to use the Ethernet on my Windows 98 FE Computer. I'm not sure if it's Network Neighborhoods settings or Windows 98 First Edition's configuration, but, I'm not getting 10 Mbps.

Please help. I want to dance with 10 Mbps, not the devil (6.66 Mbps), and get rid of the Network Neighboorhood "Enter Password" window when I power up my computer.

Seeing that this is the second time, I’ve got my computer status removed from my signature, here is the computer I’m working on;

AMD K6 400 MHZ

768 Mb of RAM

Windows 98 First Edition.

10 Mbps Ethernet Port

PCI Fast Ethernet DEC 21143 Based Adaptor

Thanks.

Edited by Atmosphere XG

First off enter or change your logon password to a blank one, then change Network configuration to use Windows logon in the Primary Network logon box. This will enable you to bypass the logon screen.

Please then go to GRC.com and read the section on bindings,this will disable netbios over tcp/ip and make your p.c a whole lot safer. (if it is installed)

Then search for mtu,rwin,ttl settings altering these will give you optimum performance over tcp/ip.

I am sure mdgx www.mdgx.com has some information on these on his comprehensive web site

The above works on a 98se P.C and I assume should not be any different to your first edition

HTH

Edited by oscardog

Awesome!!! :thumbup Thanks!

Last question.

Will Ethernet, put a heavier toll on your RAM than Dial Up? I find my Memory being

reduced significantly, and I was wondering if it was the culprit?

BTW to keep my computer moving fast on Dial Up, I was using AOL 5.0 While I'm

overly impressed on the Speed, I'm not so thrilled on my lower than usual memory loss.

Should I assume, the "smileys" & gif images increase in movement speed is why, my

memory is lower than average?

Thanks again B)

Edited by Atmosphere XG

Hmmmmm! :wacko:

If you were a customer, neighbor or just plain friend of mine here, I would strongly suggest that you let me upgrade you to Windows 98/SE with SP2 installed.

Your little computer would work so much more efficiently and have so much more capability than it does now.

That's the reason that M$ spent millions developing the SE version.

For USB control, better printer control and networking, SE Rocks!!!!

SP2 incorporates all the tweaks and improvements that I used to spend hours putting in by hand.

Get it.....you'll love it :thumbup

Cheers!

Andromeda43 B)

Hey, thanks for the help!

I actually have Windows 98SE in my DJ Computer. I could pull it out of there, and install

it on my second hard drive. OR, Install Windows XP Professional on my second Hard Drive.

Seeing that I have Optimum Online installed on my second Hard Drive would that work?

I'm not really concerned with the USB Connections, for I only use one USB socket for the Digital

Camera.

So, should I;

A. Install Windows 98 SE

B. Install Windows XP Professional

Since this PC is only for the Internet, I'm trying to take advantage of the 10 Mbps speed using

the Ethernet connection, and enjoy Windows 98, at the same time.

Here's the full specs of the Computer

I'm using a Cat6 Ethernet Cable if that helps.

Thanks.

Update

I did a little tweaking here and there which, increased my download speed to 1167

KBs a second peak, and 1156 KBs on average. :thumbup

So thats 9.336 -> 9.248 Mbps. My Ethernet card is 10 Mbps, so I can't expect to

attain the speed of my Dell using a 10/100 Mbps card.

I guess I'll just leave the operating systems "as is" and continue to surf using

Windows 98 First edition. B)

Edited by Atmosphere XG

Glad your runnung faster, with regards to your lower memory status try to see if you can access the net without aol internet explorer and all its associated pop up rubbish. See if you can ping www.google.com from msdos command prompt. If you can then you should be able to access the net directly from offbyone or firefox web browsers etc