Set up server with DNS/DHCP and AD

I want to set up a server with AD. I also want to use a router with DNS and DHCP configured on the server - can anyone give me their recommendations on this scenario? i.e. install WS2003 - install DCpromo (installs DNS automatically) and then DHCP??

What is the purpose of DHCP? can someone give me a simple example of when it is used and the advantage/disadvantage?

thanks

DHCP is used to assign IP addresses to other computers. Typically you'd do this using a router and not the server OS. Although a server OS can do it you're far better off letting a router do it as that is what it's design for. Doing it with a computer is just a way of saving money by not buying a router, which is generally frowned upon because it's not usually as stable.

If you don't use DHCP that means you'd have to go to every single computer in your network individually and personally assign them an IP address. Very boring and a large waste of time. A standard server setup has the server IP's assigned manually to something below the DHCP's range to avoid conflicting IP's. This way all other computers can sort themselves out automaticly and you get the reliablity of always knowing exactly where the server is and you are in complete control of its settings.