dell OEM XP disc

what are you trying to do? create an unattended install cd? or just copy the contents of the cd to the drive for backup purposes?

if the latter is true, just create an ISO image of the disc for backup.

If you want to create an unattended cd, just use nLite, it will keep pre-activation. i have created many of my dell oem cd's for my laptops with nLite and they install and run just fine.

hope this helps!

No, i know how to make backups of cds, I want to isntall the Dell OEM xp thru RIS without screwing the preactivation, I know RIS creates its own unattend file but I want to preserve preactivation so I don't have to deal with that or creating a cd once a month.

Don't hold me to it, but all you should need to do is replace the four OEMBIOS files in the I386 with the ones from the Dell OEM CD.

What I would suggest doing is get a fresh, clean OEM install of XP Pro and create the RIS image from that. Then, after it's created it, use the files I mentioned above and copy them over. You'll also need to use the CDKEY that Dell uses in their WINNT.SIF for this to work. I haven't played with RIS in a while, but I think Dell does a few too many tweaks in their installations to use it as a source.

ok, i will give that a try, thank you for your reply. I had read something about the oembios files but was never sure if it would be as simple as that, and the windows serial in the winnt.sif file you're talking about should/would/will be the same as the serial that windows gets installed using, like if i went to use one of those windows serial key finders like the older aida 32 that reports all licensed software, the serial key that shows up for a current installation is that one correct? sorry if that made no sense i've been having a crazy week.

thanks again.

Should, because even after installation and WindowsUpdate and GenuineAdvantage it's still the same generic CDKEY for me. As long as the CDKEY mathces up with the correct OEMBIOS files, which check the unit to make sure it's a Dell then everything should work. If those all line up then it looks like activation is just done, haven't had an issue with it yet. And if those things don't add up then you still get an install but you have to activate.