Project! - Need Help

hi please view this post http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19909

i would like to "locate the registry" on my xp installer disk to add these key in the above post, so that when i install xp on a new machine the start menu link under 'run' and the custom Internet Explorer Title will be there automatically so i dont have to run any scripts after install to change title etc.

The Elder Geek Members told me to use Reg2inf Converter but in order to convert or add my keys, i must first find my registry files right? all the code is there in the post.

I know it is possible because Dell Windows XP has "Dell Resource Center" in there start menu under 'run' so that is what i want to do, but i want to place a link to my website instead of "Dell Resource Center" My Windows XP Disk is NOT a Dell Windows XP (I Already Added OEM Info etc. it is working good)

And the Internet Explorer Title will Display My Company Name instead of "Microsoft Internet Explorer".

So for this to be done i must add these keys for title and start menu to the default registry on xp cd.

Thanks Please Reply ASAP

If I understand correctly, all he has to do is export the title key to a registry file (using Windows Registry Editor) and then he needs to download Reg2Inf zip file from here, then copy the Reg2InfHandler.cmd from the "Handler" folder to the SendTo folder (%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\SendTo) (create the folder if it doesn't exist), then right-click the REG file > Send To > Reg2InfHandler.cmd

(OR open a command prompt window after putting reg2inf.exe in a folder in hist %PATH% and in the folder that contains the reg file execute:

reg2inf "MyTweak.reg" "MyTweak.inf")

This will give him an integratable INF file.

Now he needs to wrap it with a entries.ini file like this which will add the INF to the [Components] section of sysoc.inf (using the [sysoc] part of the entries INI) as well as add the file to [txtsetup_files] and [dosnet_files]...

something like this for example:

[general]
builddate=2006/08/20
description=My Registry Tweaks
language=English
title=My Registry Tweaks
version=1.0

[filenames]
maininf=MyTweak1.inf

[sysoc]
MyAwesomeTweaks=ocgen.dll,OcEntry,%maininf%,HIDE,7

[dosnet_files]
d1,%maininf%

[txtsetup_files]
%maininf% = 1,,,,,,,20,0,0

Then compress the INF (with Makecab) and call the above file (entries_mytweaks.ini) or something and put both files in a CAB and all done.

It will be integratable with both nLite and the Integrator.

And last but not least, he needs to have .NET framework 2.0 installed for Reg2Inf to function...

i copied the reg2inf.exe to desktop and typed

reg2inf title.reg title.inf

it said complete.

i also did the same with brand.reg (start menu thing)

it said complete, now i have 2 inf

this is all i understand up to.

do i have to copy the above and save it as entries.ini?

thanks

Edited by sharazmohd

I just replied to sharazmohd's PM on Siginet's forum.

Just for record, here's the contents of the message (for anyone who has a similar problem):

--- Begin Message Quote:

The entries specified are just variables that allow the use of the variable instead of the filename in the rest of the entries.ini, so like this it won't work because you are settings the variable to 2 values at the same time.

-- Notes:

1. You must rename the entries.ini file something else eg: entries_myBrand.ini to prevent conflict with RyanVM Update Pack.

2. It is also wise to rename the Title.inf to something different, example, MyBrand.inf,

So, the solution is:

1. Merge both INFs to one:

- Simply open Title.inf for example in Notepad and open Brand.inf in another Notepad. Copy all of the data inside the AddReg section [REGEntries.AddReg] of Title.inf of the files and paste after the data inside the [REGEntries.AddReg] section of the other INF and save, so now you have 1 big INF and delete the other one and then change its name to MyBrand.inf and then remove the maininf=brand line from the [filenames] section and when you do that, change the maininf = title.inf to maininf=MyBrand.inf in the entries_myBrand.ini file.

2. If you want to use FGCBA, make a new folder and put the "entries_myBrand.ini" and "MyBrand.inf" inside it and then open a command prompt in that folder, (use command prompt here) and use this command : FGCBA "entries_myBrand.ini" /build:MyAddOn.CAB. Then after that a folder called Output will be created in the folder we are in, go there and take the MyAddOn.Cab and integrate it with nLite or RyanVM integrator.

OR

- If you don't want to use FGCBA, then make a new folder and put entries_myBrand.ini and MyBrand.inf in it and then open a command prompt in that folder and execute: MAKECAB MyBrand.INF, this will give you a "MyBrand.IN_" file (compressed), then delete MyBrand.INF, then use a program like TUGZip to make a new CAB file (MyAddOn.CAB) which then you can use in nLite or RyanVM integrator.

- Note: ENTRIES.INI (which in this case is called "entries_myBrand.ini") file must NOT be compressed.

You're welcome ! :) .

a little correction its

this command : FGCBA "entries_myBrand.ini" /cab:MyAddOn.CAB

edited: you need cabarc.exe

it worked!

** Required file(s):

Brand.inf (Brand.inf)

** No warnings or errors during preprocessing. Congratulations! **

*** Preparing to create AddOn cabinet file...

** Checking if required file(s) exist...

** Creating "AddOnFiles" and "Output" folders...

** Renaming INF-referenced filenames...

** Fixing filenames for WINNT.EXE compatibility...

** Compressing all files using LZX:21...

- Compressing: Brand.inf

** Copying entries_Brand.ini to "AddOnFiles" folder...

*** Creating AddOn CAB: MyAddOn.CAB...

Microsoft ® Cabinet Tool - Version 1.00.0601 (03/18/97)

Copyright © Microsoft Corp 1996-1997. All rights reserved.

Creating new cabinet 'C:\Documents and Settings\Matrix\Desktop\new\Output\MyAddO

n.CAB' with compression 'LZX:21':

-- adding entries_Brand.ini

-- adding Brand.in_

Completed successfully

--- Congratulations! AddOn CAB has been created in:

- C:\Documents and Settings\Matrix\Desktop\new\Output

Edited by sharazmohd

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2831

does RyanVM Update Pack 2.1.1 - Released August 14, 2006 - have Windows Genuine Advantage Tool (WGA)?

i did not add this update should i?

i am browsing the iso with winiso and their is rvmintegrator.img can i delete this?

also this iso dosent have cmpnents, DOCS, Read First, SUPPORT & VALUEADD Folders

is this normal? does it only need the i398?

does RyanVM Update Pack 2.1.1 - Released August 14, 2006 - have Windows Genuine Advantage Tool (WGA)?
NO! its a separate addon if you want
i did not add this update should i?
Only if you want to update your XP sp2 to have all the current hotfixes (it deletes the old dll files on the CD and replaces it with new updated ones form the hotfixes)
i am browsing the iso with winiso and their is rvmintegrator.img can i delete this?
NO! unless you dont want to have a bootable XPCD :P

Its the same as microsoftcorporation.img

I Hope after 3 days of hard work your project works :hello:

Edited by ricktendo64