Auto-Patcher For Windows 98se (English)

I decided to try the part of the Autopatcher that searches for any missing updates. The following two were listed:

1. kb918144: Unofficial Hotfix for various issues in the Jet 4.0 data engine

2. TOOLS9X: Unofficial Improved Replacement Tools

What has been happening is that when I run the Autopatcher, it seems to loop through these very same updates. So the question arises;

Have these updates actually been installed, but the Autopatcher can't detect them and keeps trying to re-install them?

OR

Is something in my system preventing the Autopatcher from successfully installing these updates, and they are still not installed?

I_Result.Log_June_11__2007.txt

Report__June_11_2007_for_Autopatcher.txt

I decided to try the part of the Autopatcher that searches for any missing updates. The following two were listed:

I've looked at your log file -- very useful as it goes back quite a few versions, do you have any older ones by any chance? Has it always said it was looping thru for those 2 updates? Did any version of AP work properly ie without looping thru?

the most likely scenario is you don't have those updates ... what's happening is AP says it's installing the update, but in the background there's some sort of error message we aren't seeing because all the updates are run silently. This is actually happened to 3 or 4 other hotfixes and i know how to fix the problems. It looks like a service pack 2 is coming soon. Stay tuned ...

Edited by soporific

I've looked at your log file -- very useful as it goes back quite a few versions, do you have any older ones by any chance? Has it always said it was looping thru for those 2 updates? Did any version of AP work properly ie without looping thru?

This particular update has ALWAYS looped through right from the beginning.

The other update was not included in the Autopatcher until very recently, so it wasn't there to loop through until very recently.

I_Result.Log_March_and_April_2007.txt

DO us a favour can you and do a search of the program folder for the following file:

kb918144.exe

and run it. If everything is OK you can back out of the installation, but my guess is you will get to see what the error message is telling you. Please let me know what happens!

DO us a favour can you and do a search of the program folder for the following file:

kb918144.exe

and run it. If everything is OK you can back out of the installation, but my guess is you will get to see what the error message is telling you. Please let me know what happens!

I ran kb918144.exe, and got the following error message:

kb918144errormessagefinpx4.jpg

I then ran the update mentioned in the error message, followed by kb918144.exe .

I was then instructed to restart the computer, which I did.

On restarting, I received the following error message from the Windows System:

windowssystemerrormessarf2.jpg

According to the attached report, the update is installed, but the error message seems to contradict this.

Report__June_13__2007.txt

I then ran the update mentioned in the error message, followed by kb918144.exe .

IF you don't have msjetoledb40.dll, you will get a message like that. Please do the following:

1) do a search for msjetoledb40.dll to see if it is actually on your system. If it is, please note down the file size, and also see if you can determine the file version (look in its properties)

Notes: This file seems to be installed when the OS is first installed, so it should always be there. If your system can't find it or doesn't recognize it, this is a problem. I have tried to find the original file in the OS installation files, but i can't find it as such, but it is already installed on a fresh system. If anyone else has more info, please say something ...

Edited by soporific

In all their MDAC/MS Jet 4.0 INFs, M$ renames this file, because its name is LFN, and because INF installers [probably] do not support copy files function for LFN files [?].

Files copied from within INFs must be SFN (Short File Names).

This file is found in all updates/patches as msjetol1.dll and is renamed as msjetoledb40.dll aftwer being copied to %windir%\system .

HTH

Thanks for that info MDGx! ... Jack, how'd you go with that file?

News: the June 2007 release will be available soon. I have to start getting a system together for releasing Full editions and Update editions -- i'm sure you don't want to download 260 MB each month and i don't want to upload that each month. So, i'll get on this ... in other news, the code has been changed to re-check each module even if there is no reboot. This means some updates that are going to 'loop' will actually loop instead of installing the once (but not installing) and then you only realize if you run AP again. You'll see what i mean when you see the new version. So coming soon:

* The full June 2007 release

* Update any May 2007 version to June 2007. ie Update May 2007 or May 2007 sp1 to June 2007

* Update 1.95 PR2 to June 2007 (long overdue!)

Stay tuned ...

Oh yeah, remember how i was saying i was going to build a test system with Norton Anti-Virus ??? Well i did and the test system lasted a day before i overwrote it in a fit of utter frustration. PLEASE, OH PLEASE do not use NORTON SYSTEMWORKS or NORTON ANTI-VIRUS and wonder why your computer is so slow, buggy, unstable, and generally much the worse off. I may even go as far as code a warning into AP ...

Edited by soporific

Thanks for that info MDGx! ... Jack, how'd you go with that file?

I managed to find the file.Strangely enough, it only existed on Drive D.

msjet1finaltu8.jpg

msjet2finalue5.jpg

When I received my brother's old computer in 2005, the hard drive on it was only 6GB. In December 2006, I had a 29 GB hard drive put in, with all the contents of the 6 GB drive ghosted onto the 29 GB one. The 6 GB drive remained in the computer as Drive D, while the 29 GB one became Drive C. When I did a search, the file was nowhere to be found on Drive C, which is the one the computer uses now. However, it was on drive D.

I copied the file and put the copy in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM. Hopefully, this will solve the problem.

C & P frm the first post:

Latest News:

Oops: um, there's a couple of reasons i have to release June 2007 sp1 - it won't be big. sorry! Its nothing major, 2 updates aren't the very latest but you should install the upgrade just in case. Available soon ...

Sat June 16, 2007

There are 4 new releases:

* June 2007 Full - 263 MB

* June 2007 Upgrade from 1.95 PR2 (or later) - 64 MB

* June 2007 sp1 Upgrade from May 2007 (or later) - 7 MB

* June 2007 sp1 Upgrade from June 2007 - 1 MB

What's new in June 2007?

* code cleanup and some minor bug fixes

* a freeware CD burner app added to the 3rd Party module.

* Notepad has been added to the \bin directory so the user doesn't have to have this on their machine.

* all recent unofficial update releases by MDGx have been updated. None are new titles though.

Notes on the 1.95 PR2 Upgrade release:

* This will upgrade any version of Auto-Patcher for Windows 98se v1.95 PR2 or later

* the installer has been improved from the ones released previously. It is now highly recommended to let the installers do their job as opposed to moving the program directory around manually.

C & P frm the first post:

Latest News:

Oops: um, there's a couple of reasons i have to release June 2007 sp1 - it won't be big. sorry! Its nothing major, 2 updates aren't the very latest but you should install the upgrade just in case. Available soon ...

Sat June 16, 2007

There are 4 new releases:

* June 2007 Full - 263 MB

* June 2007 Upgrade from 1.95 PR2 (or later) - 64 MB

* June 2007 sp1 Upgrade from May 2007 (or later) - 7 MB

* June 2007 sp1 Upgrade from June 2007 -

Question - Why does the "Microsoft Windows Pop-Up Program Support" keep poping up durning the running of Auto Patch, have to keep shutting down the pop-up windows so the reboot does not hang?

Also some of us don't have Outlook on our machine and have to go back and delete all the stuff that gets install my Auto patch - should be an option or check if its on your system. Good Work - Charlie

THANKS FOR ALL THIS DOES

Question - Why does the "Microsoft Windows Pop-Up Program Support" keep poping up durning the running of Auto Patch, have to keep shutting down the pop-up windows so the reboot does not hang?
Has this always happened? Does this always happen? Does this happen if you don't change the color scheme? I think it's a bug in the new color scheme option -- i'll look into it ...

EDIT -- do you load ANSI in your system startup? Look in Config.sys and Autoexec.bat and see if there is any reference to ANSI and report back please.

Also some of us don't have Outlook on our machine and have to go back and delete all the stuff that gets install my Auto patch - should be an option or check if its on your system.
That's a good point, others have made it as well, i'll add this to my to do list ... so can i confirm, in your case you have totally removed Outlook Express so the file named MSIMN.EXE is nowhere to be found on your computer?

and Jack (nathanson1947), you may want to look into performing a re-install --- it sounds like it might need one in your situation. But then again if your system is working fine then apply the 'if it aint broke don't fix it' rule.

Edited by soporific

Question - Why does the "Microsoft Windows Pop-Up Program Support" keep poping up durning the running of Auto Patch, have to keep shutting down the pop-up windows so the reboot does not hang?Has this always happened? Does this always happen? Does this happen if you don't change the color scheme? I think it's a bug in the new color scheme option -- i'll look into it ...

1. Yes - this always happened - lots on first install - only one on last install.

2. Did change color, but it happen on first install too.

do you load ANSI in your system startup? Look in Config.sys and Autoexec.bat and see if there is any reference to ANSI and report back please.

3. No - and not in Config.sys or Autoexec.bat

Also some of us don't have Outlook on our machine and have to go back and delete all the stuff that gets install my Auto patch - should be an option or check if its on your system. That's a good point, others have made it as well, i'll add this to my to do list ... so can i confirm, in your case you have totally removed Outlook Express so the file named MSIMN.EXE is nowhere to be found on your computer?

4. Yes - and do not have this file on my system.

:hello: Soporific

I used the May 2007 full release of AP to install all the patches from the following modules (with Norton AV auto-protection disabled):

Internet Explorer

Windows Media Player

DirectX 9

Critical Security Hotfixes

Critical & Recommended System Updates

Other Recommended System Hotfixes

Visual Basic Runtimes

The modules were installed one by one by repeatedly running AP after each module had been installed.

1. On the Windows Media Player (WMP) module, AP's test to determine whether or not WMP 9 is installed does not function correctly.

On my SE system, AP failed to detect that WMP 9 was not installed and thus attempted to install all the patches for WMP 9, notifying that it has installed the patches. After SE reboots, however, AP then notifies that the patches are not installed which of course is correct if WMP 9 is not installed.

2. On the Critical Security Hotfixes module, an "out of environment space" warning occurred after SE rebooted. This warning occurred after AP confirmed that patch q323172 had been installed and before confirming that patch q323255 had been installed. When the "out of environment space" warning occurred AP went went through the usual error checking looping code =>

:LoopWARN
"%LOC8%\bin\ASET" NHour := HOUR
FOR %%_ in (0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9) DO IF %NHour%==%%_ SET NHour=0%NHour%
"%LOC8%\bin\ASET" NMin := MINUTE
FOR %%_ in (0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9) DO IF %NMin%==%%_ SET NMin=0%NMin%
"%LOC8%\bin\ASET" NSec := SECOND
FOR %%_ in (0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9) DO IF %NSec%==%%_ SET NSec=0%NSec%
SET TYME=%NHour%:%NMin%:%NSec%
echo. %TYME% -- starting to loop installs: %TITLE% (%TRACK%)>> "%LOC8%\logs\I_Result.Log"
CLS
echo.
echo.
%TITLE% (%TRACK%)
echo. is starting to loop through multiple installations.
echo. If this keeps happening then the program code is not configured
echo. properly or does not work for your version of Windows 98.
echo.
echo. You can either skip to the next title or try this again.
echo. If this is only the 1st time you've seen this message,
echo. or if there was any error messages the previous time
echo. then its a good idea to try to install it again.
IF %TvarA%!==! goto LoopWCON
IF NOT %USECD%!==FILC! goto LoopWCON

as well as

:LoopWCON
echo. [s] to skip [t] to try again [S,T]?
echo.
echo. [s] skip will be automatically chosen in 20 seconds ...
echo.
echo.
choice>nul /c:st /n /t:s,20
if errorlevel 2 goto DELTRACK
if errorlevel 1 goto DontDELT
goto ErrChoic

Despite the "out of environment space warning, both patches q323172 and q323255 had been installed correctly.

3. On the Visual Basic Runtimes module after SE rebooted, AP did not run through the post processing that normally occurs after each reboot, with the result that the "I_Result.log report for the Visual Basic Runtimes was not displayed. The last line of text in this report was =>

22:07:54 .. the computer was set to reboot

4. The Rich Text documentation of May 2007 full release of AP needs to be updated to reflect changes that have occurred since the AP 1.95 PR2 release =>

i) Patch kb837009 is is not referenced in the Internet Explorer module documentation, but is installed by this module of AP

ii) Patches q313829 and kb816093 are referenced in both the Internet Explorer and the Critical Security Hotfixes module documentation. The patches are, however, only installed by the Internet Explorer module of AP.

iii) Patches q307004, q308349, q309081, and q310695 are not referenced in the Other Recommended Systems Hotfixes documentation, but are installed by this module of AP.

I used the May 2007 full release of AP to install all the patches from the following modules (with Norton AV auto-protection disabled):

This is all good info. There's a few jobs i have to do for the next release and so i will work on trying to fix all these issues. Thanks for persevering with this, you are definitely greatly helping to improve this project. Good on you ... and you have also mastered the art of posting on MSFN. Now, if only some other people could get a hang of it ...