Include directory switches

lurk&jerk

If you are expecting software authors and more usually installation packaging software creators to include switches in all their products so that the content can be installed into a non-standard locations for a very tiny minority then I think you may be here for a very long time.

What would be the thinking behind installing programs in a location other than %programfiles%, and as a result of the above query, how do any pros outweigh the cons?

With the exception of Acrobat and compression utilities, I always segregate Windows from my applications. I also keep my Windows desktop folder, sendto and start menu on a separate partition as well. There are a myraiad of reasons.

1. Script kiddies often assume you put programs in the Program Files folders and write trojans and other malware accordingly.

2. May programs don't require a setup program. So if Windows crashes and your programs are on a separate partition, you just reinstall the OS and you're up and running with a fair number of apps that don't require a full installation.

3. You can more rapidly defragment your OS drive if it isn't choked with GBs of apps that aren't essential to the OS.

4. Likewise, you can backup or image your OS much faster if it isn't chocked with GB of apps.

Most major install programs allow you to choose a directory, either with the /D= or /Dir= swithch. I thought i would encourage folks that come accoss some of the more unusual directory switches to share their findings with the MSFN community.

Edited by lurk&jerk

There are a myraiad of reasons.
1. Script kiddies often assume you put programs in the Program Files folders and write trojans and other malware accordingly.
You believe that yourself /software is incapable of preventing malware.
2. Many programs don't require a setup program.<snip>
As a result of which they do not have a setup switch and are therefore not part of your quandry.
3. You can more rapidly defragment your OS drive if it isn't choked with GBs of apps<snip>
You will of course still need to defragment all the other drives or partitions upon which your programs are now installed.
4. Likewise, you can backup or image your OS much faster if it isn't chocked with GB of apps.
Will you not be backing up your Programs then? are they not worth having? If so you will need to create images of more than one volume and maintain them in such a way as to ensure that image of drive y: is always restored together with image of drive z:. Common Program Files, Application Data, system location files services and registry data could all tie to your applications in some way. It does appear that for maintenance /organisation efficiency at least, the most effective solution is to keep them all together in one place. The Program Files folder on the System Drive would therefore prove the most logical choice.

I don't know how a simple suggestion to include directory switches, took such a left turn. But the beauty about PC's is that you can build them and install software on them, pretty much any way you want. Was there something about ther "personal" in computer that I missed...

Edited by lurk&jerk

It's not any sort of turn. You asked for something for which there is a very small chance of receiving responses. I have simply suggested why, and as you've seen, you've had no positive responses.

The most common method used to do something similar to what you think is a benefit, is to redirect the Program Files folder to an alternate location as part of your setup configuration. You can put them on a different drive /partition and if really needed rename them then.

Was there something about ther "personal" in computer that I missed...

Not at all if you want to make your own "personal" repacked installers that abide to your own "personal" expectations.

Some installers give you options, some do not and then some do not even support switches at all.

:)