[Help] Disabling Hardware Using the Registry

gamehead200

Hey everyone,

I have Ghosted a bunch of Dell D620 laptops for my school. What we didn't realize is that all the laptops have fingerprint readers and we would like to disable them (long reason) without recreating a new Ghost image. Is there a way to do this using the registry or does it have to be done manually (Computer Management -> Device Manager -> Disable Fingerprint Reader)? I tried disabling it, exporting the entire registry, enabling it, exporting the entire registry, and comparing the two 50MB+ registry files to see what was changed, but after finding the changes and creating a registry file to disable the reader, it still did not work.

Any suggestions? :}

Thanks.

You should be able to disable it by locating the associated service. Ex for Upek touchStrip/touchChip the service name should be "TC usb kernel driver". To locate it easily, look in the device manager, do device properties on the finger print reader then driver, the driver detail and there should be a .sys file. Then search in HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services for this file, when you find it set the value start=4 which should next to the found .sys file.