[Question] Enable PageFile with WinXPE

The008

we know that WinPE enables pagefile if running with low RAM (ex 64MB), but I can't do this with WinXPE (BartPE + XPE Plugin). Any ideas??? Maybe we could transfer some files from WinPE to WinXPE, but what files? 'cause I think that factory.exe enables the pagefile, but I'm not sure, and if is this, how can I manage the "Tasks" factory.exe does? I'd like, for example, to disable network configuration.

yep, I downloaded and will try, but I think that there's a way to enable automatic creation of the pagefile *IF NECESSARY* just like WinPE. For example, I wouldn't like to create a pagefile if I have a 1GB or 512MB RAM, but I'd like to automatic create a pagefile if I have only 64MB RAM.

Have you tested WinPE? I think that factory.exe does the pagefile job, but I don't know how to transfer it to BartPE.

You could use pstat to find the available ram, then conditionally run Paraglider's setpagefile:

:Begin
:: Use PSTAT.EXE from the NT 4 Resource Kit
:: to find the amount of RAM installed (in KB)
FOR /F "tokens=2 delims=K " %%A IN ('PSTAT ^| FIND "Memory:"') DO SET RAM=%%A
:: The following command line is added to round up instead of down;
:: change the value from 1023 to 512 for "mathematical" rounding,
:: or remove the line to round down
SET /A RAM = %RAM% + 1023
:: Convert from KiloBytes to MegaBytes
SET /A RAM = %RAM% / 1024
:: Display the result
echo RAM SIZE IS %RAM%

IF %RAM% LSS 65 %SystemRoot%\system32\SetPageFile.exe c:\pagefile.sys 128

(cheers oscar)

You would need to run this early in the boot process, could use peshell or preshell.

I know how to enable the pagefile in WinPE 1.6 if your interested...but it seems you are using a hybrid of BartPE / WinPE so I don't know if this would be of much use to you...do you have a winbom.ini that executes?

EDIT: I shouldn't say I know "how" but I have all the documentation that indicates the procedures neccessary...

Edited by JuMz

I use WinPE from XP SP2 OPK, but BartPE + XPE Plugins is better, 'cause you can customize everything, but I'm thinking about creating an hybrid WinPE + BartPE/XPE or something like this!

I don't know my WinPE version, but I think it's version 2004 or 1.2, but I'm not sure. I don't know how to get WinPE 1.6, only 2.0, but actually I don't have a fas internet connection, so I can't download 0,9GB (WinPE 2.0 + something).