win 98 plus

imdusty

you can't install plus98 on WinXP so i learned a trick from this here forum

to look in the inf and see all the needed files for whatever program you want.

Or you can install Lose Your Marbles on Win9X

copy folder to removable device then copy it to WinXP

XP running stuff from Plus is pretty simple. No need to mess in the registry for most of the stuff.

Install on 98.

Copy the Plus! folder to a cdr.

Copy the animated (cartoon) screensavers from Windows\System to cdr.

Copy Windows\Media folder to cdr.

Copy Windows\Web\Wallpapers to cdr.

Copy the .bmp files from Windows to cdr.

On XP.

Make a Plus! folder in Program Files.

Copy the OSPLUS, Themes, Marbles folders to the Plus! folder.

Copy the animated screensavers to System32 folder

Copy the .bmp files to Windows, except for Plus.bmp.

Copy the Wallpapers to the Windows\Web\Wallpapers folder.

Copy the Media files to the Windows\Media folder.

Don't replace any existing files in the above stuff.

Make a shortcut in your start menu to C:\Program Files\Plus!\Marbles\Marbles.exe. I make a folder there called Plus! and another folder called Games and put the shortcut entitled Lose Your Marbles there.

Although there are registry entries in 98 to use Lose Your Marbles they are not needed to play it on XP.

If you want the Underwater Screensaver you need to find the Plus! for kids demo for Windows 95 and extract just the Underwater.scr, another file labled Underwater there I can't remember, and the 2 files for the Wildlife Screensaver in there to System32. Then you just choose the Wildlife Screensaver and you get Underwater. No need for any of the other files in there, and certainly don't run any installers or install any Themes.exe file into XP. Everything is controlled by the XP Display Properties screensaver and themes tabs.

All the themes will show up on the Themes tab from the Plus!\Themes folder but not all of them will run. Most will. Don't bother with any screensavers except for the cartoon ones.

Some people like the Deluxe CdPlayer but really anything else these days is better. If you want to copy that folder onto XP I think it might work, but I'm not sure. There's a fix for the thing to use freedb for cd lookup. I never tried using this on XP. I like other programs better.