Data Execution Prevention issue

I am using 64 bit edition.However, i cann't install VMware and other software after i installwindows update.

I know that some elements in windows update have problems. It shows htat To hlep your computer, Windows has closed this program. Name: Windows installer Publish :Microsoft Corporation

Data Execution Prevention helps protect against damage from viruses and other security threats.

How do I handle this problem? I use nlite to integrate my hotfix, in other word, i cann't remove the specific hotfix which i have integrated.Who can help me to solve this problem.

As far as i'am concerned ,MVware is important because i want to use this software to print .My printer driver

doesn't support xp 64-bit edition.

after i installed

Windows XP x64 Edition Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB904942) 2006年8月16日 Windows Update

Windows XP x64 Edition Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB911280) 2006年8月16日 Windows Update

Windows XP x64 Edition Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB914389) 2006年8月16日 Windows Update

Windows XP x64 Edition Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB917734) 2006年8月16日 Windows Update

Windows XP x64 Edition Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB901017) 2006年8月16日 Windows Update

Windows XP x64 Edition Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB896358) 2006年8月16日 Windows Update

Windows XP x64 Edition Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB896428) 2006年8月16日 Windows Update

Windows XP x64 Edition Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB899587) 2006年8月16日 Windows Update

Windows XP x64 Edition Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB899591) 2006年8月16日 Windows Update

Windows XP x64 Edition Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB893756)

Windows XP x64 Edition Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB920214) 2006年8月16日 Windows Update

Windows XP x64 Edition Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB922616) 2006年8月16日 Windows Update

Windows XP x64 Edition Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB921398) 2006年8月16日 Windows Update

Windows XP x64 Edition Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB920683) 2006年8月16日 Windows Update

Windows XP x64 Edition Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB920670) 2006年8月16日 Windows Update

Windows XP x64 Edition Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB917422) 2006年8月16日 Windows Update

Windows XP x64 Edition Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB918899) 2006年8月16日 Windows Update

Windows XP x64 Edition Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB921883) 2006年8月16日 Windows Update

Windows XP x64 Edition Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB917159) 2006年8月16日 Windows Update

Windows XP x64 Edition Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB914388)

Windows XP x64 Edition Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB899588) 2006年8月16日 Windows Update

Windows XP x64 Edition Security Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB901214) 2006年8月16日 Windows Update

Windows XP x64 Edition Update for Windows XP x64 Edition (KB898715)

I can not install OFFICE2003, the screen show that To hlep your computer, Windows has closed this program. Name: Windows installer Publish :Microsoft Corporation

Data Execution Prevention helps protect against damage from viruses and other security threats.

I do not install everything in windows update including KB914784 , but it still show Data Execution Prevention message. I don't know which one have problems in Windows update.

Maybe your processor supports hardware DEP. Check your BIOS to make sure it is disabled or install newer drivers from AMD.

I don't know how to set in the bios?

my computer information:

AMD:3200+

MB:GA-K8N Ultra-SLI

Memory:1GB

Now, it doesn't show that DEP message . It show that VMware installation launche occur problems, you have to turn off, sorry.

I've seen some reports of this going around - the question becomes, what do you have installed on the machine? The update seems to have issues with Antivirus and Firewall products that use kernel hooks that are not documented, like Tiny's personal firewall (that's the one I'm aware of for certain that has issues after the patch). What do you have installed on this machine?

I've seen some reports of this going around - the question becomes, what do you have installed on the machine? The update seems to have issues with Antivirus and Firewall products that use kernel hooks that are not documented, like Tiny's personal firewall (that's the one I'm aware of for certain that has issues after the patch). What do you have installed on this machine?

Do You mean that Anti-virus and Firewall cause some applications occur problems?

I have install kaspersky 6.0 but I have stop my firewall.I use the ad-aware as well.

Edited by PatrickEmpire

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have had two processors that have hardware support that DEP uses

AMD64 3200 (sk754) with Enhanced Virus Protection (EVP) (no execute (NX) i belive it was called first)

Intel Pentium D 915 (2.8Ghz) with Execute Disable Bit (enabled in bios)

I always have DEP on and i only a few old games that would not run with it on but with everything else like vmware installer and office 2003 it worked fine.

The AMD EVP was always on and no options to disable it in the BIOS (I think it varies depending on motherboard manufucture).

The only way to disable DEP is to use the /noexecute=alwaysoff in the boot.ini file and then reboot for it to take effect. Personally i use optout and then in the DEP panel add the file to a list for DEP to ingore and if that fails use the always off as a last resort.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...p/depcnfxp.mspx

Edited by DKI

I am using 64 bit edition.However, i cann't install VMware and other software after i installwindows update.

I know that some elements in windows update have problems. It shows htat To hlep your computer, Windows has closed this program. Name: Windows installer Publish :Microsoft Corporation

How do I handle this problem? I use nlite to integrate my hotfix, in other word, i cann't remove the specific hotfix which i have integrated.Who can help me to solve this problem.

As far as i'am concerned ,MVware is important because i want to use this software to print .My printer driver

doesn't support xp 64-bit edition.

Stupid bug! It's known to occur with Athlon 64-based systems. I saw DEP interfere before on someone's Compaq Presario with I believe a socket 754 Sempron 3000+. That was despite Windows XP being 32-bit. Thus this problem isn't just a Windows XP 64-bit Edition problem.

I saw DEP interfere, because of Winpooch. It's possible to get the dreaded DEP pop-up when using Winpooch. But the application being terminated likely was a Microsoft application, too!

I can't recall getting the dreaded DEP pop-up with an Athlon XP.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Stupid bug! It's known to occur with Athlon 64-based systems. I saw DEP interfere before on someone's Compaq Presario with I believe a socket 754 Sempron 3000+. That was despite Windows XP being 32-bit. Thus this problem isn't just a Windows XP 64-bit Edition problem.

I saw DEP interfere, because of Winpooch. It's possible to get the dreaded DEP pop-up when using Winpooch. But the application being terminated likely was a Microsoft application, too!

I can't recall getting the dreaded DEP pop-up with an Athlon XP.

DEP is built into windows XP SP2, Windows Server 2003 SP1 and Windows XP X64.

Mostly on older processors like the Atholon XP or Pentium 4 processors there was no EVP or EDB instructions built into the processors for DEP to use so DEP would be software inforced which is not as effective so it won't have those issues and less likely to see those popups.

DEP works with those instructions on the processors that have them instructions so it is more effective to help keep the OS slightly safer but also can cause some issues. I only had a few older game that had an issue with DEP. Microsoft have given four switches (to be applyed in the boot.ini file) so it can be ajusted to different levels from always on to always off.

Edited by DKI