Help: Regs Applying to Admin account only...

I followed what was listed on the unattened site.

UnattendSwitch="no"

Specifies whether Setup skips Windows Welcome or Mini-Setup when preinstalling Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional using the CD Boot method. IMPORTANT: If you choose Yes then the registry tweaks that are based on HKEY_CURRENT_USER and the Windows XP Powertoys will only apply for the default Administrator account. They will not exist when you create your own new user account afterwards. Choose No so you can enter a new username at the Windows Welcome screen so it logs you in with your own account before GuiRunOnce processes the batch to install your favourite applications, tweaks etc.

However, I create my user account but all the programs and reg hacks are still applied to the admin account. What am I doing wrong, and how can I fix this? None of my programs are being registered under my user name, and only under the admin acct.

did you use "yes" or "no"?

Some members in here are experimenting with creating a user account in cmdlines.txt so they can bypass the welcome to windows xp screen completely and login with their own account to run the batch. Havne't heard much on that lately though.

I'm using 'no' like it says to. I also tried using the cmdlines.txt way. But haven't quite figured it out completely. I'm still waiting for someone to post something that makes more sense to me on how to do it correctly.

From what I've read you need to create two files in the $OEM$ folder.

- cmdlines.txt

- INSTALLS.CMD

In cmdlines.txt you need to have the following...

[COMMANDS]
".\INSTALLS.CMD"

In INSTALLS.CMD it needs to have...

@ECHO OFF
net user "spookytay" /add>nul
net localgroup administrators "spookytay" /add>nul
@Echo Off
reg export "hklm\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion" anyfilename1>nul
find /n "RegisteredOwner" anyfilename1>anyfilename2
FOR /F "tokens=2 delims==" %%i in (anyfilename2) do set FName=%%i
set FName=%FName:~1,-1%
net user "%FName%" /add>nul
net localgroup administrators "%FName%" /add>nul
del anyfilename1
del anyfilename2

One question with the above code, on the 5th line, where it exports the reg keys. Does hklm work for [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE...] or should I be typing it out?

Now is what I have above correct? And should I be putting anything in my .sif file. I read somewhere that cmdlines.txt should automatically run without having to place anything in the .sif file.

Also I'm still confused, should I still be putting my user name in the .sif file under [user data] if I'm going to be using the cmdlines.txt way?

FullName="Insert Name"

This option is where you can specify your own name, this is displayed under "Registered to:" in Windows XP's System Properties.

OrgName="Insert Organisation Name"

This option is where you can specify your organisation name, this is also displayed under "Registered to:" in Windows XP's System Properties.

Oh and one last question. Since I have my .cmd's listed under [GuiRunOnce] should they be moved to my cmdlines.txt file instead?

I did read the following off of MS site....

Choosing a Method for Automating Post-Installation TasksYou can perform automated post-installation tasks two ways: you can use a Cmdlines.txt file to run commands, programs, scripts, or batch files just after Setup finishes but before the computer restarts, or you can configure the [GuiRunOnce]section in an answer file to run commands, programs, scripts, and batch files after the computer restarts and a user logs on. Use the following guidelines to determine which method to use.

Using Cmdlines.txt

Use Cmdlines.txt when:

You are running commands, programs, scripts, or batch files from the $OEM$ folder on a distribution share.

You want to install applications or perform configuration tasks during GUI mode stage of Setup.

You want to install applications or perform configuration tasks under the Local System security account.

You do not need network connectivity to perform the installation or configuration task.

You are not using Windows Installer packages (.msi files) to install applications.

You want to install applications or perform configuration tasks while no user is logged on.

Using [GuiRunOnce]

Use [GuiRunOnce] when:

You need access to hard drives, CD-ROM drives, shared folders on the network, or other storage devices.

You want to install applications or perform configuration tasks under a specific user account.

You need network connectivity to perform an installation or configuration task.

You are using Windows Installer packages (.msi files) to install applications.

You need to control the order in which programs, scripts, or batch files run.

Important

You cannot use Cmdlines.txt if you are using an operating system CD and a Winnt.sif file to perform an unattended installation. You can use Cmdlines.txt only if you are installing from a distribution share.

FullName="Insert Name"

OrgName="Insert Organisation Name"

This is only information that's displayed in the System Properties window, it has no relevance to user accounts whatsoever. That's all i can tell you for the time being, I'm not up to speed with cmdlines and user account creation yet.

This is only information that's displayed in the System Properties window, it has no relevance to user accounts whatsoever. That's all i can tell you for the time being, I'm not up to speed with cmdlines and user account creation yet.

Thanks AaronXP, this is exactly what I thought. When I do the unattend install, once I get to the GUI part where I have to add a user name. It does it's stuff, then ask's me to register and what not. But once I get to a login screen. It just has InsertName listed. Shouldn't it at least have the name I just put in a few screens back during the GUI setup when I added a user name?