Newb - pre-install question

Supp0rtLinux

I'm an IT guy, so forgive my paranoia about installing XP shell enhancements and such. Three quick items...

1) What happens if you install (or need to re-install) a service pack? Does XPize need to be re-installed?

2) I see that .net is required... any requirement for .Net 2.0? Or is 1.0 + patches from WindowsUpdate okay? Any known issues with one versus the other?

3) On the support page for XPize under "Known Issues" (http://xpero.msfn.org/?page=support) it says:

"Explorer.exe:

The files ntdll.dll and shlwapi.dll may cause explorer.exe crashes."

Last I checked, explorer.exe was pretty critical to XP (and most any version of Windows). Are explorer.exe crashes common? What provides the ntdll.dll and shlwapi.dll files? XPize? Something else?

Thanks in advance for the help...

And a follow-up question as well... I have a new Sony UX180P. It has a finger printer reader that I use for logging on/off instead of a password now. In order for the password reader to integrate, it disables the normal XP login screen with the standard CTRL-ALT-DEL screen... just as if I'd added the system to a corporate domain. So, first... anyone else have an Sony UX180P and using XPero? Second, anyone know of any interactions or conflicts between a logon-integrated biometric scanner and the replacement/updated boot screen/login provided by XPero?

I'm an IT guy, so forgive my paranoia about installing XP shell enhancements and such. Three quick items...

1) What happens if you install (or need to re-install) a service pack? Does XPize need to be re-installed?

2) I see that .net is required... any requirement for .Net 2.0? Or is 1.0 + patches from WindowsUpdate okay? Any known issues with one versus the other?

3) On the support page for XPize under "Known Issues" (http://xpero.msfn.org/?page=support) it says:

"Explorer.exe:

The files ntdll.dll and shlwapi.dll may cause explorer.exe crashes."

Last I checked, explorer.exe was pretty critical to XP (and most any version of Windows). Are explorer.exe crashes common? What provides the ntdll.dll and shlwapi.dll files? XPize? Something else?

Thanks in advance for the help...

1) XPize will reload all your files for you using XPize Reloader. No worries, but I recommend you to install XPize after all patches and programs have been installed.

2) .NET is required for XPize Settings, an application bundled with XPize which lets you tweak some desktop settings, among other things. You must install .NET 2.0 for it to work. If you don't need XPize Settings or are a .NET hater, do not install .NET. XPize will do its job just fine without it.

3) A couple of users reported that, so I thought it was a good idea to let users know about that issue. It is an uncommon one, so don't worry.

And a follow-up question as well... I have a new Sony UX180P. It has a finger printer reader that I use for logging on/off instead of a password now. In order for the password reader to integrate, it disables the normal XP login screen with the standard CTRL-ALT-DEL screen... just as if I'd added the system to a corporate domain. So, first... anyone else have an Sony UX180P and using XPero? Second, anyone know of any interactions or conflicts between a logon-integrated biometric scanner and the replacement/updated boot screen/login provided by XPero?

I can't help on that because I don't use such kind of devices. By thw way, I am XPero and my application is XPize :)

Thanks for the clarification. Apologies for swapping up your app with your handle. :) I guess I'll give it a go... I figure if it screws with the finger reader, I can still get in with a password, then simply revert the welcome screen, correct?