asp.net 1.1 build environment?

Hi guys,

My host is only supporting asp.net 1 right now. I am new to asp.net so I want a program that helps me for creating web-applications like Visual Studio 2005 or Visual Web Developer? I cant use them since they only support asp.net 2.0.

Or, is there any way to make above 2 programs support asp.net 1 objects?

Thanks

Honestly, the dev tools for 1.1 aren't nearly as good (VS2003 - no express eds either), the framework is not quite as good, same goes for the languages... v2.0 is a *HUGE* improvement - especially for ASP.NET! All kinds of extremely useful new features (like master pages). The whole thing's been improved so much I would never consider going back to 1.1! We've converted most of our 1.1 stuff already, but I can see someone maintaining a 1.0/1.1 app as-is (no conversion). But creating a new app from scratch using 1.1? Not gonna happen. Everything's moving to 2.0 and 1.1 is being abandonned (things like most new dev tools being for VS2005 and v2.0 only, MSDN has released their last MSDN for v1.1 a while ago e.g. expect no more doc updates, etc). Also, one ought to use 2.0 because it's what all of Vista's and ".NET 3.0" (which really isn't what is sounds to be) will work on top of, including lots of extremely useful new stuff one will want to use in their apps (communication foundation, workflow foundation and all). If you develop in 1.1, you'll have to convert it to 2.0 first before you can use any of the upcoming great new stuff. Why develop in 1.1 to be forced to convert to 2.0 later anyways (and then likely need a new host still)?

If it comes down to that, I'd be looking for a new host, even if that's a pain (transferring), and could cost more. I don't understand why they don't provide 2.0 support either, any half-way competent host should by now, it's not like it costs them anything either (just install new framework and you're done). I would question them on their reasons for not supporting it.

Developing new apps in 1.1 nowadays makes no sense. I think you're seriously looking for the wrong solution to your problem i.e. trying to work around the consequences (no good dev tools) of the actual problem (no 2.0 support for no reason). No host is cheap enough to be worth it. Even if it was free, I still wouldn't go that way.

I think so man, v2.0 is much better and easy to code with Visual Studio 2005, but my limit is set by my host. I told them either install asp.net v2.0 or move my site to a server that already has v2.0 installed. Anyway, it was one more step to finish the project. Thank you very much.