Upgrade to XP Pro, no CD drives

dunnma

I recently upgraded to XP Pro and for some reason the only problem I am having is that the OS does not recognize that I have a CD or DVD burner. All it recognizes is that I have a DVD-ROM drive. I looked in the device manager and there are no ! errors.

When the computer boots up, it is cycling through both drives. I have done windows update until there are no more issues to fix.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

None are recognised as burners nitroshift.

This just means u can't use XP's in built burner (which is incidentally crap).

Look at the images, My Computer detects my dvd+rw and dvd-rom drives as cd drives.

mycompnj8.th.jpg

But Nero 7 Lite says this:

nerorl1.th.jpg

Try opening a 3rd party burner and seeing if that program recognises ur drives as burners.

Edited by T D

Yes, I have 2 drives and XP only recognizes 1 of them as a DVD-ROM. When the computer is booting up, BIOS is going through the boot sequence on both drives to see if it needs to boot from a CD. I think that I had the same "problem" as TD originally with both being recognized as CD drives. Now however, only one drive is being recognized.

I did try another 3rd party recording software (SonicNow or whatever) and it did not recognize them either. I will try to flash the bios and see if that works.

I will keep you updated. Thanks for the help thus far.

Problem solved!

It appears that when upgrading to XP Pro from XP Home Edition that the new OS was having problems with the Primary IDE Channel. In device manager I right clicked on it and choose uninstall from the pop-up menu. I did the same with the "default" drive listed under the DVD/CD-ROM drives.

I then clicked on Action from the file menu, and chose Scan for Hardware Changes. The system then recognized the Primary IDE Channel AND the "Missing" CD-RW & DVD+RW drives.

Thanks to everyones help who helped guide me. Hopefully this will help someone else that comes along with the same problem.