Exchange 2003

Ok,

exchange question for those out there, trying to setup exchange, up and working can send email from the server out to the net, to gmail, hotmail etc, but any incoming emails will not go through, tried a tool at www.zoneedit.com/smtp.htm i can email back into the exchange server from there, so i know DNS is working well, here becomes the issue, the DNS is done through DynDNS, the IP is Dynamic so i regsiter my DNS setting with DynDNS, also registered the MX records there to and can find them with NSlookup and on the web, but when trying to email from a web email client, (gmail, hotmail etc) it will recieve an error even when replying to a email that was recieved from that address, is it something with the SMTP connector? possibly some encryption that i have not implemented or look at yet? any ideas? let me know if any infomation is needed

specifically what return message are you getting?

can you see anything in the smtp logs that might show where the communication ended.

There are the obvious reasons why dns would be your issue. but there is one way to find out if that is your problem ... in the returned faild delivery message it will give an ip address of the server it tried to contact, verify that this is your server..

are there any other things that you may have done to your server.. for the most part.. setting up exchange is as easy as installing, port forwarding and updating your recipient policy.

error messages from 2 different addresses

from a live mail account

Reporting-MTA: dns;bay0-omc3-s33.bay0.hotmail.com
Received-From-MTA: dns;BAY119-W8
Arrival-Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 14:55:57 -0700

Final-Recipient: rfc822;****@homeip.net
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550 Unknown user

from gmail

Received: by 10.35.127.15 with SMTP id e15mr13601062pyn;
Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:10:47 -0700 (PDT)
Received: by 10.35.83.9 with HTTP; Thu, 27 Jul 2006 12:10:47 -0700 (PDT)
Message-ID: <9c5c8a680607271210me6bc070g80679bcd775943a7@mail.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 14:10:47 -0500
To: "*****>
Subject: Re: Test
In-Reply-To: <EFC8F1174A054D4F91434F632354D3312CC5@knbdc1.Network.Local>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
boundary="----=_Part_148757_5737829.1154027447149"
References: <EFC8F1174A054D4F91434F632354D3312CC5@knbdc1.Network.Local>

------=_Part_148757_5737829.1154027447149
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Content-Disposition: inline

i have done little configuring past the defaults, i will go through the smtp logs when i get home, the thing is that i can get emails there from another page (www.zoneedit.com/smtp.html)

from zoneedit

OK, connected to knbdc1.homeip.net...
< 220 knbdc1.Network.Local Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.0.3790.1830 ready at Thu, 27 Jul 2006 19:13:16 -0500
> HELO edit.dnsvr.com
< 250 knbdc1.Network.Local Hello [69.72.176.188]
> MAIL FROM:<kevball2@gmail.com>
< 250 2.1.0 *******....Sender OK
> RCPT TO:<*****@homeip.net>
< 250 2.1.5 ******@homeip.net
> DATA
< 354 Start mail input; end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
> From: ********
> To: *****@homeip.net
> Subject: ZoneEdit Automated SMTP Test (****.homeip.net)
>
> If you received this, then the mail server (*****.homeip.net) is probably working.
> Sent at 2006-07-27 08:11:47 by 68.78.104.145 using Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Alcohol Search)
> .
< 250 2.6.0 <KNBDC1yJsBPvyMUrU0X00000002@*****.Network.Local> Queued mail for delivery

it does find the server through DNS and can even resolve to the AD domain that is internal to the server, but no luck from any other site getting mail in though

by the looks of it.. and correct me if I am wrong. but i see that you are connecting to hnbdc1.homeip.net in your last statement there. and in your first statement you are trying to send to ****@homeip.net which would be incorrect.. I use no-ip.com for my dynamic hosting and when I was using their free domains, I made a similar oversight.

your email that you need to send to is ****@knbdc1.homeip.net and not ****@homeip.net. if you ping the 2 addresses, they resolve to different addresses, which would be why it isnt working.

you are able to send because your root domain is the same and other email servers do not care what subdomain it is coming from as long as it can resolve the root, but going back.. if the recipient is not part of the domain specified at the end of the address, it will fail.

Change your recipient policy to reflect your actual domain name that way you will send addresses as ****@knbcd1.homeip.net instead of ****@homeip.net, that way when you reply to an email, it will resolve to your ip address.

thanks chili,

i will try changing that tonight and see if it helps.

my only note is this, the actual domain is network.local. the DNS name is homeip.net,

based on there help for DNS

for their DNS mail exchanger record i don't know if it would be better to use the knbdc1.homeip.net or just homeip.net

http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/archives/...rs_and_dns.html

i added a MX record on my DNS that points from the KNBDC1.homeip.net to the knbdc1.network.local so that it can pick the the internal domain name fine.

chili,

just tested it and it works perfecty @knbdc1.homeip.net. Excellent, i understand now cause the MX record is set to knbdc1.homeip.net, question now is it possible to do @homeip.net or not possible cause of the DNS issue?

no.. not unless you pay for a service(if available) through dyndns because you dont "own" the domain. you own the subdomain. unless you purchase a regular domain from them and use hteir dynamic dns hosting with that, you will not be able to get rid of the subdomain.