one-off Activation problem; can this be fixed?

CLASYS

I apologize if this one has come up before, but it's a specific system for a user of mine:

The machine had already on it a copy of XP Pro that was corrupted, taken from another computer, but he wanted to rescue the contents of his installed stuff, etc., so that was the original state of the machine, NOT a clean install.

XP was repair-installed using a legit OEM copy of XP Pro, which required activation. It was successfully activated. But it still has some problems internally, unrelated to activation. It has already gone to Windows Update and has successfully passed WGA as well. [The Notification Tool is NOT downloaded and has been told to stay away, but the validation was installed, passed, etc., and now it recommends updates, etc.]

Thus, the only problem here is the apparent interaction with the old installed stuff and the new [repair] install.

Now to the new problem:

I talked him into doing a clean-install, but my new problem: Activation won't work claiming a bad Prodkey.

Fortunately, I made a GHOST image of the old system, and when I put it back, all is well as before, activated and WGA/WU friendly, etc., but still a bit messed up.

I understand I cannot use WPA.DBL and WPA.BAK [which exists] to make the clean install appear activated, but it looks like he is stuck with his [paid for!] OEM license activated on a broken install and no way to do a clean install without buying XP PRO again, etc.

Any help here?

tia,

cjl

Run MGADiag.exe on the PC, copy the report to the clipboard and post the results here.
Ok, here it is:

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Genuine Validation Status: Genuine

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-J4DWT-P4MHG-3JHJ3

Windows Product Key Hash: 0wGMxQ4/6vqyEbHkYympr8AHXE0=

Windows Product ID: 55274-OEM-2214435-90129

Windows Product ID Type: 3

Windows License Type: COA/Sysem Builder

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro

Download Center code: 3X95GS7

ID: 01fad7d2-f2ac-4ee9-a93c-21596991810a

Is Admin: Yes

AutoDial:

Registry: 0x0

WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.530.0

Signature Type: Microsoft

Validation Diagnostic:

System Scan Data-->

Scan: Complete

Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A

Cache refresh Interval: N/A

Extended notification delay(non-genuine): N/A

Extended notification delay(un-activated): N/A

All disabled: N/A

Reminder reduced: N/A

File Exists: No

Version: N/A

Signatue Type: N/A

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 109

Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-467-80070002

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)

Default Browser: G:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>01fad7d2-f2ac-4ee9-a93c-21596991810a</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-3JHJ3</PKey><PID>55274-OEM-2214435-90129</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-484763869-436374069-854245398</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>VIA Technologies, Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>VT8363</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Award Software International, Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20020613000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Dell System,Dell Computer,Dell System,Dell System</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>AD7434C70184C959</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone></MachineData> <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

ok, if it is stateing that the key is invalid here is some of the reasons.

OEM key - requireds an OEM disk

Retail key - requires an Retail disk

Volume Licence - requires a VOL disk

I have run into this problem before, My sisters friend gave her a computer but did not give her the disks tha came with it however the Product code and product id is on the case with the legit sticker, so when my sisters computer which is OEM crashed an needed a reinstall.

So i used my copy of WINXP CD (VOL) and tried to use the key on the sticker it said invaid key, i called microsoft and talked to a tech who said that the key on the sticker is valid and it should work, but the tech reissued me a new key based on the product code on the sticker and i tried again but came up invalid. Then the tech asked me if my windows cd is the oem copy that came with the pc or am i useing another cd (ie. Retail, VOL). I explained the problem to him and said you must use a oem disk other wise you will continue to get the invalid key error. Which i explained againt hat the orginal owner had misplaced it but i have the key on the case from a manufactuer, and then procedded to expain that you must contact the manufactuer to obtain a new cd.

So in a nut shell, OEM to OEM, VOL to VOL and Retail to Retail.

Problem solved. Thanks guys!

The DELL stuff was apparently from a failed former DELL [not REAL OEM!] version that was in turn messed up by attempting to slipstream it to SP2 from its original state [past SP0 with a few updates, but not even SP1, etc.]. The problem was assuming that would be fine with a reinstall relative to the real OEM install.

Switching to an OEM collection of files [taken from an OEM install disk at SP2] all just worked fine reinstalling it on the same exact hardware as the one the info was posted from. Liked by WGA and activation now!

cjl

ps: The DELL version has some problems apparently not discussed *enough* on the forum.

I attempted to install a DELL version after a slip-stream attempt on this very disk. Here's what I did:

Removed SVCPACK.INF file and replaced with SVCPACK.IN_ file taken from REAL OEM [essentially a dummy version; this was necessary so SP2 would slipstream at all!].

To save space, removed the SVCPACK subdirectory in I386, and all of these post-SP0 Qxxxxxx.exe files in I386 as well [essentially redundant to the ones in the SVCPACK subdirectory.]

I noticed three variant NT Kernel files as described on a Dell Forum. I believe the slipstream created them in EXPAND format [.ex_] but they were there as .EXE from the obsolete original, and this is what was causing the message about "USBEHCI.SYS is corrupted" which went away by EXPANDING the three .ex_ files overriding the originals, etc. [A question: Is it NECESSARY to expand the three files? Isn't it enough they are there in the .ex_ format? Or is it that the DELL variant needs the .exe form because it started that way?]

The install is just using the SP2-slipstreamed I386 directory, thus getting rid of things like $OEM$ directories, etc. Either booting from a DOS/SMARTDRIVE diskette/WINNT.EXE or from Windows/WINNT32.EXE; results apparently not affected by choice of starting up [but this is NOT a complete CD, just an I386 directory, etc.]

In any case, just doing that much wasn't quite enough! It DID try to install, but eventually ends with a STOP 71 error BSOD somewhat later into the install.

Actually, my question is [in support of solving this problem]: If I find that the original has a .EXE and SP2 comes with a .EX_ instead, changing them all should solve the problem? And generalizing, should the fix be to delete the old .EXE or REPLACE the old .exe from the SP2-derivable .ex_ ? I suspect this would get rid of the STOP 71 problem eventually, but clearly these DELL disks are even more non-SP2-slipstream-worthy than has been reported in forums, etc. [My gut feeling is that as long as the files are present in only ONE form, it doesn't matter, but I figure I better ask!]

cjl