Paul Thurrott - Windows Genuine Advantage

Zxian

After the dust had settled, sort of, I was still sort of curious what WGA looked like on a system that was suspected of being pirated. This week, I got my wish: A copy of Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, installed in a virtual machine, came up with various WGA alerts after I installed a bunch of updates from Windows Update. Screenshots of this machine can be found below.

Seems like the great Paul also got the short end of the stick when it comes to WGA... :P

Link

"A copy of Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005"

Why is he using a copy of an OS? It's no wonder he's getting "pirate" warnings.

My suggestion is to use a genuine OS.

:huh::huh:

After the dust had settled, sort of, I was still sort of curious what WGA looked like on a system that was suspected of being pirated.

WGA annoys legitimate customers, while pirates are just going to crack it and continue as normal.

I don't think M$ was successful in "preventing piracy" at all.

Don't assume that the 300-400 MILLION Windows XP users worldwide are ALL computer literate enough to know what a "crack" is. There are people running pre-SP1 because they've never heard the phrase "Service Pack" in their entire lives. The world of MSFN readers is a pretty tiny portion of Microsoft's market. There's a woman I work with who has been using XP for 2 years and has a college degree, but she still can't remember how to reboot without someone talking her through it.

I don't like WGA either, but it's definitely going to make at least tens of thousands of the "casual" pirates go legit. These are the people who got a stolen VLK "from a friend of a friend" and couldn't find anything on the Internet on their own unless it's linked from their AOL home page.