[Help]Get rid of intellitxt.com ads in IE

Camarade_Tux

Hi everybody,

I have an µA CD which still has a problem : there is no ad blocking. Of course, I know Firefox has Adblock, Opera a good ad blocker... but I'd like to blocks ads on IE.

My main concern now is with intellitxt.com ads.

These are simply sh** and I will never tolerate such ads (to any webmaster, never use this, you will get lots of angry visitors).

Take a look at this page : http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/07/14/cor..._out_athlon_64/

You should see two green lines right under some "key" words.

I can block some domains with HOSTS. However, each website has a different subdomain for this so I need a different entry for each one, which is pretty boring.

Example :

#intellitxt.com
127.0.0.1 generation-nt.fr.intellitxt.com
127.0.0.1 ratiatum.fr.intellitxt.com
127.0.0.1 toms.us.intellitxt.com

I tried to use IE's security zones : I added "*.intellitxt.com" to the dangerous one but it had no effect. I also tried to add "toms.us.intellitxt.com", still no effect.

I tried eDexter which is still a very good product but haven't been able to use the PAC part with IE (PAC method should let you block websites using wildcards). With FF, there was no problem, probably because there was a "Reload PAC file" button. :?

eDexter successfully blocked intellitxt.com ads, even in IE, by providing a dummy document.write() javascript function (=>prevents the words from being underlined). Does anything else could use document.write() ?

Also has anyone succesfully used eDexter/PAC with IE ? This would be the best solution.

Thanks. :)

What I recommend you do is Disable all ActiveX, Scripting, etc. in the Internet zone, and in the Trusted Sites zon add the sites that absolutely Require such features (most sites don't). In addition to that, use a HOSTS file - I merge together all the different ones you can find on the 'net to create a better one. I also use Proxomitron, which can kill ads and more (it can basically rewrite the page, if configured correctly).

I've remained spyware and ad-free for over 5 years now, so it must be something I'm doing right :)

Edit: I've taken a look at eDexter and it seems to be similar to Proxomitron. Except Proxomitron can do much more.

Edited by LLXX

Having looked at the source file, I found at the bottom of the source file this appeared

<script language="javascript" src="http://tomshardware.uk.intellitxt.com/intellitxt/front.asp?IPID=2403&MK=5&kwpn=2"></SCRIPT>

I therefore added

127.0.0.1 tomshardware.uk.intellitxt.com

to my hosts file

Closing IE, then reopening (for changes in HOSTS file to take effect), and clicking on your link again, the intellitxt green underlines had disappeared as have the popup ads.

Presumably you would need to do something similar for each site that uses these.

Edited by JRosenfeld

Thanks for the heads up on Proxomitron. :)

eDexter is fast the same thing.

When I tried to set up Proxomitron I realized I made an error with eDexter : I was setting it for my LAN connection but not for my dialup. :/

eDexter also seems to use less memory.

Also, I've seen the domain blocklist topic on msfn and use big parts of it.

@JRosenfeld, this is a major problem : in france, I block toms.fr.intellitxt.com, when visiting american's toms, I have to block toms.us.intellitxt.com and you are blocking toms.uk.intellitxt.com.

HOSTS file needs an entry for each subdomain. This is a problem because big HOSTS files creates performance problems. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Why even have scripting on in the first place - just disable it.

The ads will be gone, any drive-by-download attacks will be unsuccessful, and sites can no longer mess with your browser e.g. changing the window size, disabling toolbars and right-click, etc.