Sharing internet connection

bdbasile

My apartment complex only gives me one ethernet connection in my room and my router recently broke. Until I get a new router I want to use my second netowrk card in my main windows PC to host an internet connection to a Sparc Ultra 2 that I am working on restoring. Ive tried connection sharing and using crossover cables and regular cables but I havent been able to get an IP on ol sparky much less an internet connection. The most Ive gotten is limited or no connectivity, a messsage which recently has been a bain on my computers. Does anyone know of the correct way to do this, or a third party software that can create a router on windows?

This is probably an issue of IP addressing. Your windows PC is probably getting a DHCP address from the wall connection provided by your ISP. Previously, your router was obtaining this address from the ISP and assigning any connected computers or devices a private IP, which it would translate prior to sending information back out. I don't know how Internet sharing works exactly, but basically for this to work, your PC would have to be able to assign an IP address on the SPARC (in other words set up a "private network" between the two) and then relay any outgoing IP packets out of it's publically connected interface.

As I said, I have no experience using internet connection sharing on a windows PC (but I do work a lot with routers)--you may have to set up the IP address manually (esspecially on the SPARC), and the PC would have to be set with it's first network card as the "default gateway" for the private network and NAT would have to be used. (I don't know, is there a wizard to set this up?).

I'm not sure at all if ICS works with non-Windows OSes, assuming your Sparc Ultra2 is running Linux or Solaris.

Enable connection shareing on the connection comeing from the ISP.

ICS will work with anything provided it uses standard networking prtocals. (ive used it with linux, windows, xbox, ps2, pocket pc, etc...)