urgent xp setup problem

XtremeMaC

hi there,

yesterday one of my hdd's had some bad sectors in it which I then recovered with HDD regenerator.

but it seems some of the required files were corrupt and missing, for example ntfs.sys..

so i decided on installing windows over my existing windows..

just after it checked my C drive it restarted.

then after that i thought i don't want to install it over and installed a new windows on a new partition so that i can have a windows immediaetly (thanks to nlite)

so anyways here's my problem. I've copied the missing and corrupt files to my old windows and i'd like to boot that up instead. now when i choose that windows from the boot menu, i get the setup screen.

How can i fix that?? which files are now changed(added/deleted) that are causing this?

how can i get that windows back?

thanks

Edited by XtremeMaC

I think you should edit the boot.ini file in your C: drive, because this file tells the PC what to do to load the operating system. Take a look, it should look like:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

but if you have 2 windows it would differ a little from mine. Try editing this file, but make sure to create a backup!

no the problem is not with my boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional new" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional old" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

nothing wrong with it...

Edited by XtremeMaC