can all windows32 compatible softwares run in windows 64 bit

in a word No

you have to understand that many aplications depend on stuf like drivers and system dll's

for example apps like vertial cd or some Antivirus software will just NOT run..

a few Q's to think about when chosing your software for x64

• is it at least 32bit (win32) software
  • does it require modified drivers (for vertial hardware)
  • does a search on google <app-name> + "windows xp 64" result in any usefull information...

i would have to say that 95%-99% of the 32bit programs will work on x64. like said above, programs that are reliant on drivers will not work but there is usually a 64bit version available for that program.

Some would run, but will encounter difficulty and might not work correctly. Like Sy Sweeper for example, it worked, but I could not activate the shields and the whole program was sluggish under 64 bit Windows.

And you'll need 64 bit drivers as well, most 32 bit drivers aren't even compatible with x64.

Edited by Thunderbolt 2864

like ive said in other posts, almost all hardware now has x64 drivers. nod32 works fine for x64, same with adaware and spybot and ms antispyware. maybe give some of those a try. btw, spysweeper is sluggish for me even in 32bit, i never liked that program.

I've tried XP x64, and I liked it - it is based on Windows 2003 Datacenter edition (x64), and very efficient. Only problem was that my color laser printer was not compatible in the very least. I got rid of it due to the fact that I could not PRINT.

What I don't get is the fact that any other x64-based OS will work fine with my printer (Samsung CLP-510, rebranded Xerox Phaser 6100). Heck, MacOSX x86 works out of the box with the printer, so I know it's not some random fluke. - What this says about 32-bit apps running on x64 is that DRIVER SUPPORT IS LIMITED.

I guarantee that most printers will NOT have new x64 drivers available in time for Vista x64's release. Seeing as Vista 32bit is currently able to make XP drivers compatible with it, I think Microsoft may have figured out a way around the driver support issue.

Hardware & driver support is what makes X64 a non-viable platform for consumers. It's great for developers that are writing apps for Vista x64, but for the average user, it's just not worth the pain.

On the good side, XP x64 did run Doom3 about twice as fast on my gaming rig...

Also, one thing I did not like about x64 Windows XP was it took up more disk space and RAM, which I found was disappointing. Sorry, I just don't like it, I think the 32 bit version works fine.

that just b/c its based off of server 2003. just use nlite to reduce the size and disable extra services.