Nlite 1.0final and KB885835 hotfix problem

mikesw

Hi,

I have Win XP Pro SP2 and have integrated all hotfixes/security patches since Aug 2004 when

SP2 was released minus the cumulative updates except for the latest-n-greatest one using the SVCPACK

directory (not direct integration).

PROBLEMS:

a) This amounts to about 43 files as of the end of June 2006 for the OS.

During the hotfix merge process, I got "an unexpected error" message popup for KB885835.

I tried merging the KB file by itself without the others and also redownloading it (assumed it was corrupt).

This didn't make any difference. Thus believe Nlite v1.0 final has a bug.

All hotfixes that were added were sorted using Nlite in numerical order vs. using the build date order.

I don't think this will affect the actual merge and install of the OS though.

b) A similar problem occurred when trying to reintegrate SP2 into the Win XP Pro that already had

SP2 integrated by MSoft. NLite 1.0final said it was corrupted. I redownloaded SP2 and it integrated

ok. The strange thing is that it worked with older versions of Nlite without a problem. Somebody

else had this problem on a similar thread recently.

NOTE: Would like NLITE to give error message popup when NLITE requires i.e. .NET v2.0 to run.

Hence instead of crashing/aborting it would check the registery or the DLL version number to see

if the .NET is installed or that the correct version number is present. This will make NLITE dummy proof.

Here are some articles/links on how MSoft suggests that one can do this.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/netframework/def...tml/netfx30.asp

KB article mentioned KB318785 or link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318785/en-us

MSoft gives example programs/scripts that do the checking of the version number. Probably borrow

them and integrate them into NLITE to display a popup to the user.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an update to the problem using Nlite v1.0.1final (not the Beta).

Here is what was done.

a). reintegrated SP2 on top of Windows XP Pro SP2 (that is MSoft did the SP2 first and I redid it)

b). Included the hotfix KB885835 and got "unexpected error". The following is the list of variations

that were done, with item (a) above being repeated on a clean XP Pro SP2 copy before continuing

with the next variation listed below.

Variations:

a) Integrate without the "direct" integration flag enabled, and all the hotfixes except KB885835

Passed without problem.

b). Integrate KB885835 only without the other KB's and by the "direct" integration flag being ON

Passed without problem.

c). Integrate KB885835 only without the other KB's and by setting "direct" integration flag OFF.

Passed without problem.

d). Integrate the following KB's with KB885835 in KB numeric order along with all the other

KB's too in numeric order and by setting the "direct" integration flag ON.

KB873333

KB873339

KB885250

KB885835

<and the rest of the KB's>

Passed without problem.

e). Integrate the same way as item (d) above but turn the "direct" integration flag OFF.

KB873333

KB873339

KB885250

KB885835

This "fails" and gives "UnExpected Error" on file KB885835.

I suspect a problem between KB885835 and one or all of the other KB files

listed before KB885835 shown above when not doing direct integration.

Question:

If I select "direct" integration, will I see the KB numbers appear under the "add/remove"

program selection once the XP OS is installed? If not, will they show up if BelArc advisor

is used to do system inventory of all software and OS patches?

+