HELP! i cant get into my old files

lilz69

Are you logged in as an Administrator? If so, you should have access. Is it just specific folders, or all files? Are the files on the same disk or partion as the Windows installation?

Worst case scenario, you can boot using BartPE or a Linux live CD (like Knoppix), mount the harddrive and transfer the files to a working directory. Perhaps with some added info we can help.

Quick way that I used when I installed a 2nd OS and couldn't get into my first one. Go to start->run->ntbackup. From there, click the advanced mode button. Click the backup tab and select which folders and files you want to backup. On the bottom left there's a box to input where you want the file and what name to give it. Don't get rid of the bkf extension. Click start backup. Now, go to restore, click the backup file you just created by clicking on the pluses beside the name. Put a check on the file/s that you want and click "Alternate Location" in the Restore files to: box. Click start restore. You'll get a Confirm Restore dialog box, on here, click advanced. Uncheck everything and click OK. Click OK again. There, you now have access to all the files. Make sure though, that you need to be in either Admin, or an acct. that allows backing up.

Login as admin account user.

1. Disable Simple File Sharing.

2. Go to the folder's Security tab.

3. Add your account name to the Access Control Entry.

4. Assign Full control or whatever you want.

It's really as simple as this. No need even to take ownership (although that will also work).

If backing up and restoring the files to another drive works it's a security loophole. (People say copying them to a FAT32 drive also works.) In any case it's a long winded way to solve the problem and you still can't open the files on their original location.

If backing up and restoring the files to another drive works it's a security loophole. (People say copying them to a FAT32 drive also works.) In any case it's a long winded way to solve the problem and you still can't open the files on their original location.

It's sort of a security hole but it's well known. The exam book for winXP says that if a user is in the backup operators group, he can access files through the programs even though he wouldn't normally have access to them. Was it stupid to do that? Sure. But it's more of a safeguard so that you don't have to do too much to backup and restore. But you will get access if you do it the way I said. I'm not gonna post it here cuz I don't wanna look it up or remember, but that's what you do. I've done it a few times with no probs so.....

But it's more of a safeguard so that you don't have to do too much to backup and restore.

Thanks.

I don't quite follow this sentence I'm afraid. Would you mind elaborating it further or telling me the name of the book you mention so that I can look it up?

The safeguard thing is the way I see it. As for the book, it's the MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-270): Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Second Edition. You wont find the whole safeguard concept thing, again, that's the way I see it. You will, however, find that thing about how even though you wouldn't normally have access to files/folders under one acct., if you are in the Backup Operators group, you can backup and restore files. If you remove the two options when restoring, you remove the security.

Edited by CptMurphy