Windows File Sharing Not Working At All

nfanrekurb

When i type the computer name or it's ip in the explorers adress bar I am rejected with the message asking me to check my spelling. :realmad: Both the server and computer browser services are running on both machines. the one got Norton Internet Annoyance installed but I have turned of it's personal firewall. The computers are hooked to eachother through a Billion Bipac 5102 router/switch, might this in any way cause the problems as it was reset to factory defaults in the time between me using the file sharing possibility and the discovery of it's malfunctioning. What might the problem be?

Edited by nfanrekurb

make sure the computer's windows firewalls are disabled.

also, you didnt just type the ip, right?

you have to put \\ before network names.

my laptop's private ip is 10.0.7.14 and its netbios name is hanabishi, so to get to it from another computer i would type:

\\10.0.7.14

or

\\hanabishi

Sounds like you need to start some basic troubleshooting and start eliminating pieces of the chain. Can you ping the other system by name? If not by name, how about by IP?

ping hanabishi

or

ping -a 10.0.7.14

If you can't get a response from those two, then try pinging something outside the suspect switch, like google or your router.

Windows firewall service is disabled on both machines.

There's your problem. Need it running on at least one of the machines. I'd leave it on Automatic for both. Saves worrying about it.

windows firewall/Internet connection sharing service;

"Provides network address translation, addressing, name resolution and/or intrusion prevention services for a home or small office network."

Use The firewall icon in control panel to disable to firewall, but leave the service running!

tbs

There's your problem. Need it running on at least one of the machines....

"Provides network address translation, addressing, name resolution and/or intrusion prevention services for a home or small office network."

If using XP Home and trying to share an internet connection this would be true, to be able to resolve another system on the same segment, I don't think so. I may be wrong here since I don't use XP Home and nfanrekurb hasn't really said much about his setup, but it sounds like he's having issues with name resolution or routing, not internet connection sharing.

@nfanrekurb

If you can hit the router from one system can you do the same from the other? Also, you may want to compare the IP settings on both systems to ensure they are similar. Are you using DHCP or static? Also, were you able to ping anything by name?

Maybe the router has a firewall that blocks trafic between computers on the LAN. look for firewall settings in the router config.

if they can access the internet but not eachother, and there is no firewall, this is the only thing i can think of...

(then again, we all know how much a pain windows networking is to get working right.)

Edited by janus zeal

From the product page here, the BiPAC 5102 does indeed have a firewall feature. However, I don't think these SOHO routers can firewall the individual ports, just the internal from the external. I'm guessing the router's factory default settings are causing problems, either by it's internal config or changes to the IP settings on the systems, if it was also the DHCP server.

The router is DHCP server and both machines are set to receive ip from it. I reset the switch again and then the machine that was connected to port 3 did not get a connection, i connected it to port for and it still wouldn't connect so i removed the cable of a currently unused machine and put it there port 1 and i got a connection. But the problem is still here. I tried to set up one machine to be a ftp server, but client was unable to connect. It seems all interaction between systems through the switch is denied.

assigned ips: 192.168.1.0 and 192.168.1.2

network mask: 255.255.255.0 for both

gateway: 192.168.1.254

Dicovered that the other machine a dell wich I am not familiar with list a mach adress behind a second ip adress row in ipconfig concerning ethernet. And ipconfig list additionaly two tunneling cards with machs as ips.

Edited by nfanrekurb

192.168.1.0 is a network address so you'll need to change it to something other than the ending 0, like 192.168.1.3. Then verify that the router IP is the same as your gateway IP.

netsh interface ip show config

Which gives an output similar to this:

Configuration for interface "Local Area Connection"
DHCP enabled: Yes
InterfaceMetric: 0
DNS servers configured through DHCP: 192.168.1.15
WINS servers configured through DHCP: 192.168.9.49
Register with which suffix: Primary only

this will give you information on your current settings. Record the name of the interface which should look something like

Configuration for interface "Local Area Connection"

then if DHCP is not enabled, you can run

netsh interface ip set address name=<the name of your network card> source=<static> addr=<your IP address> mask=<your mask>
Example:
netsh interface ip set address name="Local Area Connection" static 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.254

OR

You can use the GUI under Start \ Settings \ Network Connections and adjust the TCP\IP properties under the connection's properties.