Vista Renaming HDs

steve mcknight

I formated my D drive then booted from the Vista install dvd. I installed Vista on D drive. XP is on C. Dual boot. Now when I run Vista it calls my D drive C drive and XP's C drive is called D drive. How stupid, it would be very easy to accidently delete data that was on C because now it's D. Anybody else notice this?

You should notice the change as well to prevent you losing data becasue the "active" HD is indicated by the Windows Flag.

If you ever go back into XP though, you'll notice that the HD locations. revert back to normal

I formated my D drive then booted from the Vista install dvd. I installed Vista on D drive. XP is on C. Dual boot. Now when I run Vista it calls my D drive C drive and XP's C drive is called D drive. How stupid, it would be very easy to accidently delete data that was on C because now it's D. Anybody else notice this?

This is a known problem with NTFS. This problem I believe existed in Windows XP and Windows 2000. A workaround is to format the boot HDD with FAT32 then convert it to NTFS after the Windows installation process is complete or disconnect all other HDDs.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

This is a known problem with NTFS. This problem I believe existed in Windows XP and Windows 2000. A workaround is to format the boot HDD with FAT32 then convert it to NTFS after the Windows installation process is complete or disconnect all other HDDs.

This really isn't a big deal.

as biohead said earlier, if you boot back into your XP configuration or other OS config, the drive letters will be what they should be, the only issue you may face is if the drives are dynamic volumes, you may have to reimport them. other then that everything will run normally. i do this with my Vista and XP drives, 1 hd for each and 2 120 drives, vista names them d and g while XP names them E and D, doesn't hurt then drives or info stored there.

I'm currently dual booting XP and 2k3. But unlike Vista, 2k3 still sees the partition it is on as D: - so it can't be an NTFS problem.

If it really bothers you though, why not go into Disk Management and reallocate the drive letters?

I'm currently dual booting XP and 2k3. But unlike Vista, 2k3 still sees the partition it is on as D: - so it can't be an NTFS problem.

If it really bothers you though, why not go into Disk Management and reallocate the drive letters?

Disk Management probably won't let you change the letter of the boot partition! This is why you're required to unplug other HDDs or reformat with FAT and try again. :realmad:

if you are booting Vista or any OS for that matter (XP 2003 for sure), you can change the letter of any other partition to what ever you would like, even if it also a boot partition, the currently used partition is the only one that cannot be change, once you try to boot the Other OS, it will boot up with C and assign the drive letters that it has setup