How To Recover Using Norton Ghost ????

nicar

HI,

I have a 20GB HD partition into C and D (12 gb & 8 GB), XP is on C (ntfs), D I'm using for games, mp3, and pictures, basically anything I don't really care to backup and that it will take too much space to do.

I made a complete backup of C using ghost 2002, the image file broke into two and I'm saving these files on a second HD E:/ (3.1 GB). so far I don't have any problems but in the case that i have to use the ghost backup, how will I use it to recover the ntfs partition if this is not visible under DOS, when i get the prompt my disk D becomes C. so, How can I recover C(ntfs) keeping D(fat 32) if the drives letter changed.

Basically my question is : What are the steps to recover XP using ghost???

Thanks in advance..

You won't have a problem -- just make sure (before it is too late and you need it) that you create the appropriate DOS Boot disk including the GHOST executables. Best case - you should burn your 2 backup ghost files to CD and make sure your DOS boot disk also includes drivers for the CD drive. Anyway, once you start Ghost - it does not care about File Systems - just drives/partitons at the system level. I would do a test run - boot to DOS -- start Ghost -- tell it to restore partition from file -- browse to the appropriate source file -- select the correct Target partition ----- then cancel before you actually start the copy.

Good Luck -- LS

If you ever have a promblem with XP first try to restore to a earlier date. This feture is great in XP. I wouldnt jump to nortan. Also if you boot from the CD you also have a fix XP feature. Keep those in mind.

-XPerties

XPerties is right about the System Restore feature in XP. I have gotten into the habit of creating a new restore point before I install ANYTHING - especially hacks. However, I also use Ghost on every system I work on after I get everything installed and everything is PERFECT!!!!!:) That way - if system restore doesn't get me back to a good solid point in time - Restore that Ghost Image and all is good. Another thing about system restore - it will get your WindowsXP install back to a previous point in time - but not necessarily other installed applications and especially not DATA files!!

Lance

thanks for all the suggestions, not too long ago, and only a few weeks after installing XP I had problems, lost my cd drives (2) , and fail to shutdown, everything happen after installing some upgrades from microsoft ( the aps support and the update for cdrw).

At the moment didn't have a backup, the first thing I tried was system restore and didn't help me at all, no matter what restore point I tried, I'm not saying it's bad, but is something I wouldn't rely to fix any problem.

Hope this help someone, if you don't need an upgrade DON'T TAKE IT.

• 2 weeks later...

Roxio makes a pretty good program called goback that has saved my a** a few times. it creates it's own restore points every few [b:b987f9d84c]minutes[/b:b987f9d84c]. every time your system boots a screen appears before anything else, press the space bar, and it'll ask what time and date you would like to restore to. it's like a more advanced system restore.

check out http://www.roxio.com/en/products/goback/ for more information. it's only 50 bucks for the program, but i *might* be able to find you one for "demonstration purposes only". send me a pm if you need it.