add fonts

Hello,

I want to build an unattended installation DVD and i have to add enterprise specific fonts to this installation.

But I have no idea how I can realise this.

Is there someone who has made it alredy and can give me an advise ?

THX

Dieter

It's a 2 step process. You just need to get the font files into the fonts folder. You can do this either by copying them with a script or by putting them into $OEM$\$$\Fonts. Which ever best fits your needs.

The second step "initializes" them. (I can't think of a better term right now). Even though the files are there, Windows won't make use of them because they haven't been inventoried (that's probably a better way of saying it.) The easiest way is to open the fonts folder in Explorer and then close it. It sounds goofy, but it works. Windows will inventory the fonts and they'll be available in your apps. If you don't do this second step, then they will not be available.

Try it, just copy a font file into your fonts folder. It HAS to be done via the command line. If you just drag and drop a font file, Windows inventories it right then. Pick a font that will stand out and be obvious.

Open Word, and the font is not there.

Open your fonts folder in Explorer.

Go back to Word and your font should now be availabe.

Read the rules, first.... do a search before posting questions..

This topic has been extensively covered here: Silent Install Fonts

Basically, you have to copy fonts to the fonts folder (usually %systemroot%\fonts), then register the fonts so that windows can recognize the fonts. If you install Microsoft Office, registering fonts is not necessary since opening Word registers your fonts.

You can use the fontinst.exe utility to install+register fonts automatically and is discussed in link above.

@ dieterso :

1/ copy the fonts to $OEM$\$$\Fonts

2/ Use a Winnt.sif file with OemPreinstall=Yes

3/ There is no third step

When doing unattended install, the only case you may want to register manually the fonts is when you need a custom font for a custom setup billboard (that is, you want the font registered on first gui setup boot, before windows creates the font cache).

++

edit: sleepydvdr, you avatar is sooo scaring... maybe that's because you don't create a user... :siflotte:

Edited by Delprat

• 2 months later...