Internet Explorer bypass my hosts file !

benitomdq

Hi!

There is my problem:

I have one website for example domain.com in one server. 10.10.10.10

Have the same site in a new server, 10.10.10.15, so i need to work with

the new one, so i put on hosts file this:

10.10.10.15 domain.com

Then, if i ping domain.com it resolves to 10.10.10.15 but, internet

explorer ( firefox too ) resolves to the old one, 10.10.10.10.

I try windows restart, adsl router reset, /dnsflush, etc.

Any help ?

Thanks

Cristian

Edited by benitomdq

Then, if i ping domain.com it resolves to 10.10.10.15 but, internet explorer ( firefox too ) resolves to the old one, 10.10.10.10.
The fact that it resolves to the correct IP address at the command prompt would imply the DNS Client service is working correctly and the HOSTS file is read.

The fact that only browsers resolve to the wrong address would imply you are using a proxy server for Internet access - or some ad-filtering/privacy/AV software which behaves as a transparent proxy - and this is doing a DNS lookup for the address so your local HOSTS file is ignored.

If the browsers are not configured to use a proxy server, check for software on the machine which is transparently doing the check for outbound HTTP connections and is performing the name resolution.

if you have a firewall make sure to clear it's DNS Cache as well. if you manually type in the 10.10.10.15 number does it connect?

also try doing ipconfig /displaydns and see if that resolves to 10.10.10.15 as well..

I noticed the HOSTS file is overridden for certain addresses on microsoft.com.

yeap by the dnsapi.dll file... the following can't be changed in HOSTS without hexediting the dnsapi.dll. (which i have done)

www.msdn.com
msdn.com
www.msn.com
msn.com
go.microsoft.com
msdn.microsoft.com
office.microsoft.com
microsoftupdate.microsoft.com
wustats.microsoft.com
support.microsoft.com
www.microsoft.com
microsoft.com
update.microsoft.com
download.microsoft.com
microsoftupdate.com
windowsupdate.com
windowsupdate.microsoft.com

sorry for takin this thread a little off topic lol.

its really weird, if i put on hosts 127.0.0.1 internet explorer shows me the error page, but when i put the 10.10.10.15 it shows me the page located on 10.10.10.10 server :(
My guess then is that the browser is going to the correct addresss but the page being returned has a reference which still resolves to the other server.

e.g.

domain.com is set in HOSTS to point to 10.10.10.15

browser visits http://domain.com - this is resolved to 10.10.10.15 (via HOSTS) and the web server returns a client-side redirect to http://www.domain.com

browser then requests http://www.domain.com as instructed - this resolves to 10.10.10.10 (via DNS) and the old web server now returns the page requested

Use something like HTTP Fiddler to view the browser requests, or Ethereal to see the raw network traffic to verify this.