Autologon doesn't seem to work

there is a way but it might take me a little while to sort the code out, basically what it will do is log in as admin for a split second add users write a registry value and log off then log on as the new user and start the setup process... it seems feasible just gotta try a few things out first though, will post the code and everything a.s.a.p

Lee....

What about running the add users batch via cmdlines.txt? It will run at the end of GUI-mode setup before rebooting and logging in to run the unattended batch

could get messy, is easier logging in with admin priv and editing reg, dont know though, would have to try out both methods and way up the pro's and con's of each, would need access to the registry to auto log in can that be set from cmdlines??? if so may be possible, i dont think xp creates the regestry for a user till first log on, cus b4 that it is *hive*.inf where registry gets its hives from now if you could edit that then maybe....

is that making sence or am i just rambling????

It should be possible, people have installed applications using cmdlines.txt before, and all apps need to put info into the registry. Only thing I heard about is that you cannot put keys into HKEY_CURRENT_USER

well theres a way to find out. Since we alrady have code that creats a user and a reg file that will autolog you on as a specific user we could just simply slap that into the commands.txt and go. Actually I think it would be a good place to put almost all the stuf in the main batch.

Then we would just have nothing but apps and hotfixes to install after login. But as noted before we could also have hotfixes installed from commands.txt.

It should be possible, people have installed applications using cmdlines.txt before, and all apps need to put info into the registry. Only thing I heard about is that you cannot put keys into HKEY_CURRENT_USER

good then this is not to HKEY_CURRENT_USER

;This will allow you to autologin.

;Replace InsertName value with the Username you want to autologin with.

;Replace InsertPassword value with the password corresponding to the Username specified.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

"DefaultUserName"="User"

"DefaultPassword"=""

"AutoAdminLogon"="1"

It looks like it should work ok just split the tweaks.reg up into two files and pull out al lthe tweaks that dont use HKEY_CURRENT_USER. I'll get on it I've been needing to do another install with my latest tweaks anyway.

well for auto logon you need to edit a few things ie:

in your user.cmd add these lines to disable the admin account and you need to have no password for your account so use this code for user.cmd

@echo off
net user AarronXP /add
net localgroup "administrators" AarronXP /add
net localgroup "users" AarronXP /delete
net user administrator /active:no!!!!!!!IGNORE THIS LINE!!!!!!!!!!

as simple as that "I THINK"

ATTENTION!!!!!

Please do not set admin account inactive, YOU cannot log in as admin afterwards and is very hard to make active again

i have locked myself out.....lol....

i am working on a work around for this, will keep you posted, the code should work anyway, as admin is not displayed on welcome screen by default anyway, "might need to set autoadminlogon=no in your winnt.sif file though to prevent it

also welcome screen needs to be enabled "but that is default anyway"

try it and let me know

good luck Lee........

Edited by devil270975

I will explain it a little better

For auto log on there has to be only one account "unless auto logging on to admin" hence why we have to make admin account inactive and also you cant have your account password protected "of course there are apps that can do this ie tweakUI, but we are talking about first time running here and if anyone wants to spends hours writing a script to do it all, then be my guest" you can allways add a password once you are logged in. by adding this code to a cmd script

net user AarronXP mypassword

hope this clarifies it a little

Aarron: it seems to me as though this is one of the most popular topics, do you feel like adding this to your site, along with a few of the other code samples i have posted, it seems a lot of them are more usefull than the programs you have for download, just a thought :)

OK I am about to try the above right after I burn a cd. I have done quite afew tweeks in the last few days to the installer so we will see how it goes. So far I have raid drivers working along with all my others that I can seem to find.

The only thing not working is that the cat 3.6 controle panle will not install at all for nay reason and the same for the nvidia sound controle panle. I figure these are minor and will not be needed by everybody anyway.

The thing for me is that I have my installer cd loaded with drivers since I set up systems at my shop and was so tired of having to install all the drivers later. SO the first cd is pretty full of drivers wich does not leave room for much else. Hence i have sp1 hotfixes and applications on the second cd. When it is all working then I will go for making a dvd of it all. I still have main batch on the first cd along with dx 9.0b, Media player, Msn Mess, and a few other things.

Well I'm not exactly waht I'm looking for but the thing installed ok. I needed to tweak it slightly but all went fine. and the stuff. in commmands.txt executed fine.

I cant really rememebr why exactly are we trying to do this. I did have a few little hang ups but for me it's no problem as I dont want a completely automatic install just mostly automatic. It still stopped to ask for a user. This I named exactly the same as the one in my scripts. After this it seems to autologin to the user just fine with no issues. I have rebooted a few times and it is still doing fine.

At any rate this is my

commands.txt

[COMMANDS]
".\USER.CMD"

user.cmd

CLS
@ECHO OFF
ECHO Adding Default User...
net user User /add
net localgroup "administrators" User /add
net localgroup "users" User /delete
net user administrator /active:no
ECHO.
ECHO Applying Root Registry Tweaks...
REGEDIT /S %systemdrive%\install\Reg_Root_Tweaks.reg
ECHO.

Reg_Root_Tweaks.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 

;This will allow you to autologin.
;Replace InsertName value with the Username you want to autologin with.
;Replace InsertPassword value with the password corresponding to the Username specified.
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"DefaultUserName"="User"
"DefaultPassword"=""
"AutoAdminLogon"="1"

;This will add "Services" to the right-click menu of "My Computer"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\services]
@=hex(2):53,00,65,00,72,00,76,00,69,00,63,00,65,00,73,00,00,00
"SuppressionPolicy"=dword:4000003c
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}\shell\services\command]
@=hex(2):25,00,77,00,69,00,6e,00,64,00,69,00,72,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73, 00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,6d,00,6d,00,63,00,2e,00,65,00,78,00, 65,00,20,00,2f,00,73,00,20,00,25,00,53,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,52, 00,6f,00,6f,00,74,00,25,00,5c,00,73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00, 32,00,5c,00,73,00,65,00,72,00,76,00,69,00,63,00,65,00,73,00,2e,00,6d,00,73, 00,63,00,20,00,2f,00,73,00,00,00

;This adds the "Open Command Window Here" on the right-click menu for folders
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\cmd]
@="Open Command Window Here"
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\cmd\command]
@="cmd.exe /k \"cd %L\""

;Disable Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SystemFileAssociations\image\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers\ShellImagePreview]

;Disable Automatic Restart in the event of a BSOD
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl]
"AutoReboot"=dword:00000000

;Disables Error Reporting, but notifies when errors occur
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PCHealth\ErrorReporting]
"DoReport"=dword:00000000

;Disable Imapi CD-Burning Service
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ImapiService]
"Start"=dword:00000004

;Disable Messenger Service (to block spam. Does not affect MSN or Windows Messenger)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Messenger]

;Disable Remote Registry Service
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RemoteRegistry]

;Disable Windows Time Service
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time]

;Disable Welcome Screen and uses Classic Logon
;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
;"LogonType"=dword:00000000

;Removes Language Bar
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{540D8A8B-1C3F-4E32-8132-530F6A502090}]
@="Language bar"
"MenuTextPUI"="@%SystemRoot%\\System32\\msutb.dll,-325"

;Remove Shared Documents from My Computer
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\DelegateFolders\{59031a47-3f72-44a7-89c5-5595fe6b30ee}]

;Remove Shortcut Arrows
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile]
"IsShortcut"=-

;Allow renaming of Recycle Bin
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\ShellFolder]
"Attributes"=hex:50,01,00,20
"CallForAttributes"=dword:00000000

;Speed up browsing remote computers
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]

;Speed up NTFS
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]
"NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation"=dword:00000001
"Win31FileSystem"=dword:00000000
"Win95TruncatedExtensions"=dword:00000001
"NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate"=dword:00000001

;Always unload Dlls
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer]
"AlwaysUnloadDll"=dword:00000001
"NoStartMenuPinnedList"=dword:00000001

;RAM usage tweaks
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]
"DisablePagingExecutive"=dword:00000001
"LargeSystemCache"=dword:00000001
"IoPageLockLimit"=dword:1bf00000
"SecondLevelDataCache"=dword:00000100

;Prefetcher tweak(faster booting)
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters]
"EnablePrefetcher"=dword:00000003

;Speed up browsing remote computers
[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}]

;Speed up NTFS
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]
"NtfsDisable8dot3NameCreation"=dword:00000001
"Win31FileSystem"=dword:00000000
"Win95TruncatedExtensions"=dword:00000001
"NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate"=dword:00000001

;Changes Windows Driver Signing Policy 'prompt' to 'ignore'
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Driver Signing]
"Policy"=hex:00

;Disable Nvidia Driver Helper Service
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NVSvc]

;Disable System Restore
;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore]
;"DisableSR"=dword:00000001

;Disable Remote Assistance
;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server]
;"fDenyTSConnections"=dword:00000001
;"fAllowToGetHelp"=dword:00000000

;Disable Autoupdates
;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU]
;"NoAutoUpdate"=dword:00000001

;Disable Autoupdates
;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update]
;"AUOptions"=dword:00000001
;"AUState"=dword:00000007

;Disable QoS
;[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Psched]
;"NonBestEffortLimit"=dword:00000000

and last but not least my winnt.sif

;SetupMgrTag
[Data]
AutoPartition=0
MsDosInitiated="0"
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

[Unattended]
AutoActivate="no"
CrashDumpSetting="0"
DisableDynamicUpdates=Yes
FileSystem=LeaveAlone
Hibernation=0
UnattendMode=ProvideDefault
OemSkipEula=Yes
OemPreinstall=Yes
TargetPath=\WINDOWS
Repartition=No
UnattendSwitch="no"
WaitForReboot="No"
NoWaitAfterTextMode=1
NoWaitAfterGUIMode=1
DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore
OemPnPDriversPath="Drivers\radeon-cat3_6\2KXP_INF;Drivers\radeon-cat3_6\TV_Capture\WDM_XP;Drivers\nforce2.45;Drivers\nforce2.45\AudioDRV;
Drivers\nforce2.45\AudioUtl;Drivers\nforce2.45\Dispaly;Drivers\nforce2.45\Ethernet;Drivers\nforce2.45\GART;Drivers\nforce2.45\IDE;Drivers\nforce2.45\MemCtl;
Drivers\nforce2.45\SMBus;Drivers\nforce2.45 USB;Drivers\Promise_sata;Drivers\SI_rdvr;Drivers\hpt372;Drivers\4in1442v;Drivers\4in1442v\AGP;
Drivers\4in1442v\AGP33;Drivers\4in1442v\AgpME;Drivers\4in1442v\IDEWinXP;Drivers\4in1442v\Inf;Drivers\4in1442v\IRQ;Drivers\4in1442v\Pfd;
Drivers\4in1442v\WinXP;Drivers\VIA-VT6103;Drivers\wdm;Drivers\wdm\wdm;"

[GuiUnattended]
AdminPassword=setme
EncryptedAdminPassword=no
OEMSkipRegional=1
TimeZone=4
OemSkipWelcome=0

[UserData]
ProductID=your-product-id-here
FullName="User"
OrgName="My Home"
ComputerName=Computer

[Display]
BitsPerPel=32
Xresolution=1024
YResolution=768
Vrefresh=85

[TapiLocation]
CountryCode=1

[Identification]
JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[Networking]
InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[Branding]
BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

[URL]
Home_Page=www.webmedic.net
Help_Page=www.webmedic.net
Search_Page=www.google.com

[Components]
msmsgs=off
msnexplr=off
freecell=off
hearts=off
minesweeper=off
pinball=off
solitaire=off
spider=off
zonegames=off
OEAccess=off

[Shell]
DefaultStartPanelOff = Yes
DefaultThemesOff = Yes

[GuiRunOnce]
%systemdrive%\install\main_batch.cmd
;fix these later to load from second cd without intervention
;%systemdrive%\install\hotfixes.cmd
;%systemdrive%\install\applications.cmd

I still have a few issues though for instance the games are still there and the stupid msnexplorer is not disabled. I have both shut off in the winnt.sif but I have them both shut off.

Last issue is that for some reason the reg tweak does not work to shut off msn messenger as it still pops up in the task tray.

When I started this project, I used to use UnattendMode=ProvideDefault and found this to cause some other parts of winnt.sif to take no effect at all, such as [Components] and [Display]. Changing UnattendMode to FullUnattended fixed it :)

I just switched to that but I am getting a popup right at the begining when it first boots into graphical mode but before it starts setup that says click ok to continue or something very close to that. I get this even with fullly automatic mode. This would also explain why my resolution settings were not working. I will report back shortly about autologin. It looks like it is all wokring though.

I have added a few extra things but all in all it's looking good so that my default user is loged in instead of admin and everything as far as I can tell is installed as default user nad not as admin. So far so good.