[Question] Dynamic link files a la Linux/Unix

pmshah

I was wondering if there is any kind of utility or functionality available for XP that will allow dynamic link style copying of files.

I experiment with a lot of different versions of bootable CDs. Most often a substantial number of files are the same in different versions/configuratins. Optimizing of files - prevent duplication- is easy within an iso but how about on the PC itself. When a newer version of some exe file is made available - 7z for example - on the net I want to simply save it in one single location - of course I would have to rename it to conform. I hate like hell to go & find all the location & copying them manually. The worst part is it fills up my HDD very quickly.

Even dynamic links to folders alone would also be ok.

Any help links/guidance would be most appreciated.

Title edited -- Please, use [TAGS] in your topic's title.

--Sonic

So what you're saying is you want to have multiple copies of a file, but in reality, all of the copies are just pointers to the original so as not to take up space? The term for this is hardlinks; creating multiple file entries for one physical file. There's a command line tool to do this in Windows but I like using HardlinkShellExt myself. If you make a hardlink of File A and name it File B, whenever any program tries to access File B, it really accesses File A instead. Thus you don't waste disk space, and every copy is synchronized (change one and they all change), because they're really all the same copy.

About your specific example, though, it sounds like you just want to have the same EXE available in multiple directories without copying it to each one. In that case just put it in some short directory like C:\Apps and add this to your PATH environment variable (in Control Panel -> System -> Advanced -> Environment Variables).

HardLinkShellExt is exactly what I need. Where do I get more info on this?

I am not looking at accessing & running these files. What I am trying to do is say have several different versions of BartPE on 200mb mini cd. One with say only latest antivirus software. One with harddisk tools. One with file mangers. I am trying to create unattended installation CD/DVDs with different softwrae packages out of which a substantial number are the same. With hard links as you say I have to undate in a single locatin & my subsequent ISO builds will be updated too.

If you want to burn your final folder with hardlinks present you must use "Optimize" function from UltraISO or CDIMAGE (freeware with GUI), if not the iso produced will be oversized (hardlinks arn't reproduced, hardlink works only in NTFS filesystems).

I moved to Multi-boot section, I think you find more ressources ...

If you want to burn your final folder with hardlinks present you must use "Optimize" function from UltraISO or Makeiso (freeware with GUI), if not the iso produced will be oversized (hardlinks arn't reproduced, hardlink works only in NTFS filesystems).

I moved to Multi-boot section, I think you find more ressources ...

I am using MagicIso for creating the iso images with optimize option. It also takes care of the extra long names in manifests folder. It always prevents file duplication on the CD when combining xp installation with BartPE.