XP Hibernation with 1gb of ram

prx984

a friend of mine has a computer with 1gb of ram and he cant hibernate the computer. aparently theres hotfixes for this, but they wont apply to his computer because he already has sp2 installed and the update is older than sp2. any one have any ideas on this subject?

-brian

sorry, im waiting on my friend to let me know. ill edit the post when i get the answer, thanks for the very quick reply! :thumbup

edit : shoot sorry, i didnt mention that he gets an error when he goes to hibernate the computer. the error is "insufficient resources"

Edited by brian10161

Resources has an "S" on the end of it.....OK?

That means that there is NO one thing that comprises "Resources".

It's everything in your computer.

Ram, hard drive space, cache, # of running programs sapping power from your CPU, etc.

And of course, free time on the CPU.

Clean up the mess and there will be sufficient resources.

Shut down unneeded TSR's (programs) and Disable unneeded Services.

That's a good place to start, unloading (freeing up) your Resources.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43

i understand what ya mean andromeda, but i just thought that maybe it was a problem with XP because i know that windows 98 had the same kind of problem with more than 512mb of ram. i know 98 didnt have the same hibernation option, but im just kinda comparing it. anyway, thanks for the replies everyone :thumbup

Hibernation is simply a process of saving your memory state to the systemroot directory for faster reboot/restore of your working environment. It has nothing to do with how much ram you have.The hiber.fil will be the same size as the amount of ram you have. If your system is functioning normally it should also hibernate it you see the option & turn on the support in power properties. Most likely possibility is insifficient diskspace. You can try & empty the recycle bin & as an added safety measure run chkdsk on your drive.

Just for your information, I have been using this feature for last 5 years on a machine with 1.5 gb of ram.

Edited by pmshah

Hibernation is simply a process of saving your memory state to the systemroot directory for faster reboot/restore of your working environment. It has nothing to do with how much ram you have.The hiber.fil will be the same size as the amount of ram you have. If your system is functioning normally it should also hibernate it you see the option & turn on the support in power properties. Most likely possibility is insifficient diskspace. You can try & empty the recycle bin & as an added safety measure run chkdsk on your drive.
hibernation allocates disk space when u enable it in power options, otherwise u cant enable it if you dont have enough disk space. so i dont see disk space being the problem.

guys, i know what hibernation is, dont get me wrong. i use it all the time on my laptops and desktop, but i dont have 1 gb of ram so i dont know whats going on. it could be something wrong on his computer, idk. ill see what hes got to say about it.

-brian