Beta2: Can't Install Apps

dsullinger

I re-installed Vista as a fresh install. I was getting to many BSOD's with my upgrade. Turns out the Audio drivers were the problem, so I have no audio.

After installing, I have a user account that's in the Admin group, but when I try and isntall any applications, it says I don't have the rights to do this.

What's up? How are you supposed to install applications? I also can't get access to the \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file. I would like to add some devices in our house that only have IP's, but here again it says I don't have access to this.

Any thoughts?

A user with admin priviledges being restricted--that's messed up! Have you tried creating another user with priviledges and seeing it if does the same thing?

I'm assuming this is a workgroup and not a domain

Edited by MrGuy

Logon as Administrator

using this reg file

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList]

"Administartor"=dword:00000001

Good Luck

I think U get the fact

Ramesh kumar India

I re-installed Vista as a fresh install. I was getting to many BSOD's with my upgrade. Turns out the Audio drivers were the problem, so I have no audio.

After installing, I have a user account that's in the Admin group, but when I try and isntall any applications, it says I don't have the rights to do this.

What's up? How are you supposed to install applications? I also can't get access to the \windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file. I would like to add some devices in our house that only have IP's, but here again it says I don't have access to this.

Any thoughts?

After you enable the Administrator account following neo_matrix.rs's directions, you will also have to adjust the permissions on the "system32" folder. You will not be able to edit anything in the folder. First make the Administrator account the owner of the folder, then enable all of the rights and you will be good after that.

-s

by default the only true "admin" is the local administrator, even if you are part of the admin group you will still be restricted from some things. logon as the local admin to make any changes that you need to or install software.

The Admin mess didn't work for me

I disable UAC and install anything I want cause thats about ignorant mess, Yes, continue, Are you sure. Hello heres your sign, a bit annoying. I had to do compatibility mode on 1 thing only and its one thing they said they would not be messing with.

"It just works" yeah right

This is the pre-final stages of testing where we get to help them get it right. Provide feedback as often as you can.

looks promising though really