Hidden Command Prompt During Windows Installation...

just found this out on accident, not sure if it's been mentioned here before. (search didn't bring back any real results)

If you press Shift+F10 during the Graphical part of windows installation it will open a Command Prompt and you can do pretty much anything in it while windows is still installing.

*USB Drives seem to work as well... accidently had my 128mb USB stick in and typed "d:" and "dir" and got the contents of the drive....*

Possible uses:

- Dos command "Type" display a text document. so if you have a file with all the diffrent cd-keys you can display them... or even type one in if you have Product Key = * in winnt.sif (1 cd for multiple computers anyone?)

- Type D:\i386\winnt.sif (substitute "D:\" for the drive letter...)(display the contents of your winnt.sif incase you want to make sure you had a specific setting set)

- Should be able to play simple games such as minesweeper and solitare from a floppy (maybe off the hard drive as well...)

- access control panel items by using the commands here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192806/en-us (or change passwords with "control userpasswords2")

i'm sure theres more uses for this, but thats all i can really think of right now.

i know, kinda defeats the purpose of an "unattended" cd if you're sitting there playing in dos.. but i'm sure it will help out someone.

Good catch, indeed. :thumbup

In fact, you can do much more than that:

* Just type 'notepad', and you can *EDIT* the files. (incidentally you can browse the computer using the 'open' box).

- Instead of looking at winnt.sif in your \I386, look at $WINNT$.INF in C:\WINDOWS\system32. There are the settings actually used by setup (it's too late to change things in winnt.sif). Now try to hack it!!

- As for changing the ProductID: I don't know about CD based install, but you need a valid one in winnt.sif prior to run winnt32.exe. So I have a valid 'generic' one in there, and a custom script to change it from T39, according to the machine spec (see the discussion about preactivation).

- The games on the HD, as well as all files are accessibles. I didn't try to run explorer yet (I suspect it doesn't work), but just using the 'open' dialog of notepad to reach the files (and then right click to open/run them) is working well.

* Also type 'regedit' and now you can do whatever you want with the registry. ... :whistle: ... :whistle: ... No don't do that! :w00t:

* For sure, this trick is not enough advertised. I only discovered it in a buried message of this board.

It works as soon as setup runs (before T39).

* Extremely useful for debuging and understanding how setup works, for improving the unattended things.

* USB devices are also accessible as early as T39: I'm running scripts on USB drives from this point.

Very useful form customization: it runs the script only if the flash disk is plugged-in.