Question about 98SE vulnerability

PhenixBorg

• 4 weeks later...

QUOTE: "The only time I remember having problems with Windows 98, was when I used

Internet Explorer, as my primary browser.

Now I use Opera, and, don't find my computer going haywire for no particular

reason."

I tried Opera, but didn't like it... I'm running SeaMonkey.. it's full of features you don't see with any other browser.. and it's FAST... http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=2173248&

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

Or if you are a little gutsy and experimental in nature, try http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/sea...y/latest-trunk/

Agreed, IE is like a screen-door with big holes in it... I never use IE unless I have-to, for certain MSN downloads, which only work with IE.. otherwise I have "Tiny Personal Firewall" set to block all IE traffic, and pop up when something wants to connect to the Net, when the rule is bumped... I set TPF's rules as I go... Every PC in the world shouldn't be without TPF...

I tried the two little softwares that claim to delete IE & OE from your machine.. but quickly found that deleting those integral softwares is deleting some of the needed integral portions of the Windows operating system.. and had to format and reload... You can't run Windows without IE & OE intact, but you can seal them up in Tiny Personal Firewall's little security box.. then nothing gets to contact the Net through TPF's blocking settings, unless you give your permission... TPF is the first to load after the desktop has started to load... I keep a copy of TPF on a floppy for reloads, and it's the first thing I install and config after the OS CD's... I even set TPF to block itself from contacting the Net.. and use BlackIce as my main firewall...

QUOTE: "Dude I never had no harddrive thrashing, registry locking virus in 3 years I've owned a computer, and I pizz people off, a lot.

What'd you do?"

That's easy... I'm one hell of an outspoken antagonist.. battling this Species' growing mass mindlessness, and I really hate bullies... All my life I was super bullied.. and now I'm fighting back... I hit flamers so hard, that they have to run to mummy to get their diapers changed.. and they always run to the mods, whinning and sobbing...

Surf "cosmicbrat" & "occultrush" to answer "What do I do"...

The human intellect is devolving.. as if we are using teevee and the Media to do our thinking, and give us our opinions... I'm trying to wake the mindless Numbs to opening a little of their minds, so they'll realize what they are doing is gonna result in the planet running out of life.. so they will wake up, and stop destroying the planet, for future human generations to have their birthright... In this activity I bump into a lot of mindless gorillas out there in their hell on earth.. usually nutcase christians defending the faith by trying to destroy my PC's OS, to give me the 15 to 20 hours grief of reloading my software environment... I'm pushing for serious Change, while religion fears change, and stifles change, because they believe change doesn't include them... Surf: "cosmicbrat leo engel", and "occultrush", and http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/showth...28&page=2...

I don't hold back anything when an apehead-bully starts flaming me... I get banned a lot for defending myself from kiddies and forum guard AH attack spiders... Seems it's ok for them to pizz in my face, but not ok for me to expose them for the AH's they are...

The second last time my PC got big time slammed, I was in the MSN Hotmail login page, and had clicked on their "three thousand dollars a week easy money scam link", and form-posted to the guy that his piramid-scheme looked like a piramid-scam... Suddenly my HD went ballistic, and all my controls locked out... Pulling the plug didn't help in the slightest... I had to format-C to do anything... All he left me was my files to floppy feature... I lost all my cherrished edited pix... He had locked out Spybot, Regedit, BlackIce, Norton AVS, and pretty much everything else... That was what's called a "Slam"... Whomever it was, I'd like to go on a hunting trip with him, deep in the bush, where no one could hear his dying screams...

The last time my PC's OS got slammed, I challenged a nasty mouthy mindless computer-wizard hacker, and sho-nuf my PC got hit way over the top.. but my provider who reads my emails as I post, arbitrarily reset my IP for highspeed Internet for a day, and the job of reloading went a lot faster and smoother... I haven't thanked them yet, so "Thanks folks"...

It was worth it.. I taught the bully a very important lesson.. and maybe even put the kibosh on his attacking innocents, but at my time expense... Seems sometimes I have-to throw myself into the lion's arena to get something good done...

Quote KingAuther "I tried the two little softwares that claim to delete IE & OE from your machine.. but quickly found that deleting those integral softwares is deleting some of the needed integral portions of the Windows operating system.. and had to format and reload... You can't run Windows without IE & OE intact".

The computer this message is being written on has no i.e or o.e on it at all, none ,nada. It sends receives email, browses the web,burns cds,runs p2p,plays encodes movies music etc etc

It does nearly everything that my other pcs do, those run with the 98shell and only 1 of them has i.e or o.e on it. That purely because the software writers were being to lazy to create their own interface.

Replying to Question about 98SE vulnerability, get behind a nat firewall, do not use bugged software for messaging ,browsing the web and finally run from a cd or purely in ram, first way cannot be altered and the second ignores any changes made on the next system boot

Hey KingAuther,

Thanks for the link! :)

I'll add this with my other collection of browsers on a CD.

EDIT:

Would you believe I installed Windows XP Professional on my Internet computer this morning! :w00t:

Surprise, Surprise. It works on my 8 year old AMD K6 400 Hz Computer.

Unfortunately, I've grown so accustomed to having my Internet PC shutdown in 2 seconds on Windows 98 First Edition, I couldn't deal with the timely shutdown which is the standard with XP Pro.

I have XP Professional on my Dell, so no big deal. B)

Edited by Atmosphere XG