is there anyway install xp via network cd rom

sanj25

I have dell cs laptop and my media bay cable for cd rom does not work but I need to install xp on this system . now I am thinking installing xp on this laptop via my desktop cdrom through network.

is there anyway I can install window xp via network cd rom. if so please guide me through detail process.

thank you.

Edited by sanj25

You can install windows from a network, mass storage device, or USB if your Bios supports it. The question is how is your Desktop setup: Stand alone, workgroup, or on a network. If your CD-Rom is shot, I'd try installing XP from a external usb drive--if that's possible. Be a lot easier than trying to configure a Deskop drive to be read from your laptop.

If you can't use a USB drive instead (don't know if your BIOS supports booting from USB, can't look it up without a model # either), then there are other solutions, but not too many. The main one would be booting from a floppy, and installing over the network:

-Boot from a Win98se floppy that has proper NDIS2 drivers for your network card and all

(optionally remove/create partitions/format as desired - reboot as req'd)

-map network drive (using "net use" - the command has help, and google is your friend; map to whatever share that has the i386 files - need valid credentials too)

-install from that mapped drive (or copy i386 folder to temp FAT32 partition or such if you prefer and install from there)