bypass directx minimum requirements // change processor info // manual

HTS-500

well i think the title says it all, the problem is that i need to install directx 8 (or newer, 8 will be ok), but it says that i need a pentium-type or k6 processor when trying to install (i have a cyrix processor, i think its compatible (enough speed, enough instruction sets) but my windows identifies it as Intel 80486), and im searching for a way to bypass the minimum system requirements, or change the processor info, or install manually (already tried by extracting the files of the .exe, copy to system folder and install all the extracted .inf/register all extracted dll's, but it worked partially.. not good enough to run dx apps)

any ideas? or dx8 is really not compatible with my processor :blushing:

edit: forgot to menction that its one of the cyrix that supports mmx-enhanced

Edited by HTS-500

I agree with the lack of instructions, definitely.

The job of all processors is to execute instructions, which are the commands that make up the machine language that the processor understands. Most software programs are written in higher-level languages, but they must be translated into the processor's machine language in order for the computer to run (execute) them. This is called compiling the program to machine language.

Taken collectively, all of the various instructions that the processor can execute are called its instruction set. The instruction set determines what sort of software can run on the processor; in order for two processors to be compatible, they must (among other things) be able to execute the same instructions. The number and type of instructions supported by the processor dictates the requirements for all software that uses it, and has a significant impact on performance as well.

^^^^^^^^^This touches on that a bit........

send your address and I'll send you a few pentium's, I got a amd 486-100mhz if you like them...free

is the offer valid for mexico? lol

and yeah i kinda understand that, but what im trying to say is that in theory the cyrix have the instructions that DX8 and 9 need (ok, maybe 9 not), but it will not install cause of the CPUID problem, and not cause of the instruction set itself.. now, maybe you are right, cyrix menctioned something about unsupported functions that the pentium-type processors have, and thats why they deactivated the CPUID instruction by default, but theres some probability that its still have enough instructions to run DX8, and thats what im trying to test

as for the CPUID enabler, it worked but DX8 its still not installing.. now ill search for a CPUID emulator or something like that, there must be something :D

UPDATE: see what i found:

"Intel's algorithm detected the Cyrix 6x86 as an 80486-class processor, even though it has all of the performance and instructions of a Pentium-class processor. In real mode, my algorithm used the processor-shutdown technique to correctly detect the 6x86 as a non-Intel, Pentium class processor. Outside of real mode, my algorithm also detected the 6x86 as an 80486-class processor. Intel's algorithm detected the Nexgen Nx586 as an 80386-class processor. My algorithm detected the Nx586 using CPUID, and correctly reported it as a non-Intel, Pentium-class processor."

i guess that means i was right, again

Edited by HTS-500

Not to be rude but, I think it's best you try and let it think it's at least a mmx, It's probably a good thing it doesn't see the cyrix.....just curious, is that a socket 7 ? I have a AMD 350 socket 7 chip too.........

picture686nn.jpg

picture735uj.jpg

486-100

picture714eq.jpg

picture725ft.jpg

sorry for my ignorance, but whats a "socket 7"?... and wtf, i just took a first look at the inside part of my old computer, and the processor as well as the ram are soldered to the mobo :S

as for the DX installation problem, i just found that the CPUID instruction returns cant be changed or emulated, so i will try another methods of installing DX manually (there's also no way to bypass the minimum requirements check in the installer)