help to get back administrator previledges

Nhann

i have xp home, all the user accounts dont recognize adminstrative rights ( had change to guest accounts )

except the Administrator main account in Safe Mode. Please NEED help to get them back. Thanks ahead.

in safe mode, most of user account dont list there, only admistrator account and guest account,

do you know any tricks to get back the admin account in normal mode ?

thanks ahead.

Here is a simple way.

Go to safe mode and log into the admin account.

go to start>run

type in w/o qoutes

"control userpasswords2"

See if the accounts list in there.

if it does, select the account and select properties.

go to group membership tab and select other, select administrators under the group list.

If there isnt the accounts in there. Create a new admin account and reboot into normal mode. then you can change the accounts and log into another and delete the temp admin you created.

Open regedit from an admin account.

goto hkey_local_machne\software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\winlogon\specialaccounts\userlist

make or change the administrator key so that it is a reg_dword with a value of 1. then the account will appear in normal mode.

(you might also be able to press ctrl-alt-del twice at the login screen)

or at log-in press ctrl+alt+del twice, (to get a classic logon prompt)

then log in as administrator

hope all goes well

vinny

edit, this is at regular login, not safemode, then you will be able to use the control panel to upgrade users, etc.

Edited by dosworld

ok, i created a new account set at admin in safe mode, then go back to normal mode it change back to that user account as a guest account.

zeal, at the registry the admin reg_dword is already set to 1, i think the registry has corrupted files that i changed something in the past.

td, please be more specific about net localgroup Administrators xxxx /add, as i type them in as you said it gets the error

press ctrl+alt+del

at log on screen for normal mode wont do the administrator

thanks all

There are a couple of boot options in Linux which are supposed to allow you to change the admin password. I have never been able to succesfully use them. There is however one that will allow you to delete the password. The next time you boot into your system it will ask for the admin password. You can simply hit enter & you are logged in as admin. You can then set all the permissions you want. Depending on the version of XP it might ask you to create a fresh new password. Simply do it & you are done.

Hi there,

i've been google about this topic to get it fix for last 2 days, but cant get the right answer.

its xp home edition.

is there any way to enable administrator account on xp home in normal mode ?

it is waking up only on safe mode.

have a nice day

There's a regtweak for admin on welcome screen

Windows registry editor 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList]
"Administrator"=dword:00000001

Hope this helps ;)