some software that should work on w98SE just dont work

HTS-500

Hey, i have an old computer in wich recently i installed windows 98se with the unsp2.1a, but some software that its supposed to work (ie. cpufsb, windows media player 7) just give me the "illegal operation" error, im wondering if this is cause the processor isnt pentium-type (its a cyrix mediagx), like i said, the pc have all the minimum requirements, but i cant get these programs to work (including rplite 4, havent tried the 3)

anyone have any idea of whats happening? (if isnt cause of the processor type)

PS. sorry for my bad english

make? sorry i dont understand that

model is Compaq Presario 2200

and no i dont have installed the cyrix drivers, i will install them as soon as im able to reinstall windows 98, messed up the registry while "tuning" :blushing: .. now im having some trouble cause i cant access the w98 cd-rom from dos, and explorer.exe dont work

edit: it seems that these drivers are for audio/video, i already have the audio/video drivers

Edited by HTS-500

Hey, i have an old computer in wich recently i installed windows 98se with the unsp2.1a, but some software that its supposed to work (ie. cpufsb, windows media player 7) just give me the "illegal operation" error, im wondering if this is cause the processor isnt pentium-type (its a cyrix mediagx), like i said, the pc have all the minimum requirements, but i cant get these programs to work (including rplite 4, havent tried the 3)

anyone have any idea of whats happening? (if isnt cause of the processor type)

PS. sorry for my bad english

Did you click on "Details"? If you do, does it say that X attempted to execute an invalid instruction in Y.

If it did then then it's probably attempting to use a feature that the processor don't support. Sorry. :(

With newer processors, it's possibly because of an unstable processor overclock.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

yeah ive seen the details, but it just says "*** attempted to execute an invalid instruction in: unknown module" (or something like that), and alot of 0's....

i wanted to overclock the processor to see how far it can go (about +2 or 3mhz i guess :P) but CPUFSB gives me the error

anyway thats basically what i asked, if it was an error cause of the processor type or if theres a way to get it working (i think i readed somewhere that you cant upgrade a compaq 2200)

Edited by HTS-500

My mother had a compaq 2200 with a cyrix cpu, and it ran wmp 7 (as well as 9) just fine.

it could be a corrupt install. idk what happend to the registry, but it might also have something to do with it.

if you can, switch out your ram with another ram card(s). it could be bad ram as well.

Edited by janus zeal

ok that kinda scares me, ill backup and format to see what happens... i dont think its the ram, but ill check it

thanks for the help anyway

UPDATE (dont wanted to bring topic to top): fixed the wmp error by reducing the windows memory to 46mb (it was set by default to 999mb - wtf?), cpufsb still not working

Edited by HTS-500

• 2 weeks later...

I had exactly the same problems after I installed the Windows 98se CD over the existing W98se OS and peripherals... I had to format and reload...

Surf "Clean Install W98", and make hard copies before you format-C...

Are you using a pirate OS CD?.. If you are, do an AVS scan on the boot floppy and CD, in another computer...

It's always a good plan to use a fresh boot floppy... http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utiliti..._Boot_Disk.html

When I reload the OS after a serious OS killer-mess, I always open the tower, and pull the battery for a half hour... It cleans out any nasties that got into the chips... Some of what I'm reading in these forums will be solved just by pulling the battery before reloading the OS... When you're in the tower, don't be touching chips and transistors with your fingers... Moss-Q's can't handle static from fingers... Make sure sloppy-wires aren't sitting on boards... Check the fans for free movement... Some of these problems I read are heat problems...

I'm reading about a lot of unnecessary computer problems, many of which may well be a virus-poisoned OS CD, or a slightly damaged HD disk...

Everyone should do a complete surface scan on their hard drives, at least once a year... HD's do wearout...

Edited by KingAuther

im actually using a borrowed W98SE cd (and by borrowed i mean literally borrowed from a cousin :D) so thats not the problem, and "nasties into the chips"? lol the chips are read-only, they cant get nasty, now if you mess up the bios just press F5 (may vary) and the default settings are reset.... and yeah i finally formatted and reinstalled, definately fixed alot of errors but that one stills there