Run XP apps on 2k3 desktop

I'm thinking of running 2k3 desktop as my main OS now - XP is just too bloated for my likes and unfortunatey my nlited install of it won't activate as I've done it too many times this month :angry:

The main thing stopping me now is apps that will only install on the machine if it thinks it's running XP. Is there anyway to modify either the OS or installers to make it think it is XP so I can install these files?

BTW: The main thing I would need working will be the Xbox 360 Connect (for XP SP2).

I've got a choice of all these 2k3 setups:

Standard R2

Enterprise R2

Standard

Enterprise

Small Business Premium

Small Business Standard

Is there any preffered one of these for a desktop

Just right click the installer .EXE and choose Properties and then Compatibility and then checkbox to run the EXE in a different compatibility mode and choose XP. When I use to run Win2k3 as a desktop OS I had to do it sometimes.

Blame installer writers for being ignorant, if the app truly requires 2000 or newer, they need to check to see that you're NOT running 95/95/ME instead of checking if you have 2000 or XP, as obviously the installer breaks when the next OS comes out.

Edited by travisowens

Hehehe - Found an app that won't work straight off!

The XBox 360 XP SP2 software will either ask to be installed on XP, or if I run in compatibility mode will ask for XP to be updated :{

I think I might just install XP home and wait for my MCE key to become active again.