Installed (System) Files Checker.hta

SFC does NOT check the file system for errors, Scandisk does this.

Yes, sorry I mixed up.

Anyway, SFC is a basic tool to repair/restore files that have changed. Thus it tracks indeed file changes. But it will give only a fraction of the informations that Installed File Checker will give you.

And as Eidenk suggested, the advantage of my script is speed and flexibility.

For example, SFC has been totaly useless in regard to the internet problem I have at the moment... but it was cool to read that 0 files were changed...and that 800 were added! :blink:

No. We realy need something for daily use.

These are two different tools for different needs. One tracks and eventualy restores crucial files, the other gives you everything that changed since last time.

TBS, with an extensive and tedious combination of settings, SFC can be improved.

More interresting is running SFC to eventualy restore some files, after running Installed File Checker.

Note that everytime I install a piece of software I use Total Uninstal (not freeware anymore :( ) that also "do the same job as my script (and MUCH more)".

But again Total Uninstal is also for another use on another time.

Edited by Fredledingue

Warning to all! New version.

Download the version 2.0 or above from my website because I detected an important error in Installed File Checker 0.9!

http://www.geocities.com/fredledingo/vbscripts.htm

Error description for version prior to 1.0:

Sometimes the batch process will list files in a directory as unsorted.

So if, in the result file, you see the line "Added: Too many files in directory. Files unsorted" then the following added and removed files are not true.

If files are listed unsorted, previous versions of my script messed up. (fixed in v.1.0)

Strangely, some folders will have the files listed normaly most of the time, then one time the files won't be sorted eventhought the content of the folder had not been modified.

:};)

Thought this error has been fixed in the main vbscript, if somebody cam help me with a trick to avoid unsorted list from within the batch file, it will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Fredledingue

• 2 weeks later...

Version 2.0 released today!

It's an important update. The comparison engine has been entirely rewritten.

Prior versions had errors (fake reports of file missing or added).

I worked a lot on this very complicated script so I hope it's finaly working within some pallatable level of reliability! :wacko:

Known bug:

Sometimes it will list something like that:

------------------
ADDED 3:
To directory of C:\Program Files\Disk Investigator\

Volume in drive C has no label
------------------

I will investigate if this a serious problem or just an entry to be ignored. IMO it can be simply ignored...

Note: The number following "Added" or "Missing" has no meaning and is there for debugging purpose.

I'm planning newer versions, hopefully as fast and more reliable, but I need time...

Advice: run this script often if you don't want to be overwhelmed by the amount of changes it's finding everytime! :hello:

• 2 weeks later...

version 2.1

-Added: Exclusion list

-Fixed: New folders sometimes not checked (verify batch file and new folders)

-Improvemed the function to avoid unsorted lists

-Updating the batch file for new unsorted folder found during the process

-Fixed: Various potential errors

-Less garbage in the reports! (when listed by blocks)

-Lists of scanned and excluded folders added at the top of the report (also in ScanList.txt)

-Added: Duration of the process (for debuging purpose and curiosity)

-->duration: 5.4 seconds :thumbup

• 2 months later...

Version 2.4 released!

-Improved: Exclusion list setting

-Other minor improvements

-Removed some debug informations and pop-ups

-Fixed: Mistakes in file path when the script reaches the end of the list

-Fixed: Various potential errors but maybe not all! :mad:

-Fixed: lists with "0 items" not appearing anymore.

-Improved: Display of small block of files, now listed individualy

-Imrpoved: Naming of the report files (_yymmdd_hhnnss ). Now they will list chronologicaly in Explorer

New project started:

The W98 System Restore (or Back Up) Script Project which is using the same comparison engine. :hello:

Edited by Fredledingue

Version 2.4 released!

-Improved: Exclusion list setting

-Other minor improvements

-Removed some debug informations and pop-ups

-Fixed: Mistakes in file path when the script reaches the end of the list

-Fixed: Various potential errors but maybe not all! :mad:

-Fixed: lists with "0 items" not appearing anymore.

-Improved: Display of small block of files, now listed individualy

-Imrpoved: Naming of the report files (_yymmdd_hhnnss ). Now they will list chronologicaly in Explorer

New project started:

The W98 System Restore (or Back Up) Script Project which is using the same comparison engine. :hello:

Hi Fred thanks for your work but due it requiring windows scripting host I am unable to test/give feedback. I disabled/never installed WSH when I locked down my pc against the trojans/worms/viri the script kiddies released

WSH only launches VBS and JS files that you open yourself. If a virus can lauch a VBS file outside the protection of Internet Explorer, it can do it with EXE files as well.

When a VBS file or a VBScript in a web page is launched IE always gives you a warning message that the code can be dangerous.

Having WSH is not more dangerous than having the possibilitiy to run EXE files on your computer.

Note that I disabled scripts in MS-Office!

Edited by Fredledingue

WSH only launches VBS and JS files that you open yourself. If a virus can lauch a VBS file outside the protection of Internet Explorer, it can do it with EXE files as well.

When a VBS file or a VBScript in a web page is launched IE always gives you a warning message that the code can be dangerous.

Having WSH is not more dangerous than having the possibilitiy to run EXE files on your computer.

Note that I disabled scripts in MS-Office!

If I remember correctly bubbleboy amongst a host of others executes just by viewing the infected email in the preview pane of O.E, no user intervention, not similar to running an exe. Probably ok if using OE6 or above and fully patched system (until the next one)

Only pointed it out in case your vbs gets a low uptake/feedback because of the manner its scripted, no malice intended

oscradog,

If there is a software that run dangerous script codes, this software shouldn't be installed on a PC. The problem is that M$ has integrated scripts too much in OE, IE and MS-Office. It's somehow possible to disable that but very few poeple will do it because they don't know.

But are your sure that uninstalling WSH is disabling any script use? I thought WSH was only handling scripts in VBS and JS files... I think that in order to disable scripts on your computer you need to unisntal the script engines and script libraries... then most of the website you are visiting would popup errors constantly and maybe some softwares too... I always believed that IE and OE ran scripts no matter WSH is installed or not... but I can be wrong.

I understand that some poeple may be afraid of using VBS file by fear of viruses. That's undeserved: professionals use VBS scripts for managing servers and networks. They are not always viruses.

+Some poeple may still not have WSH 5.6 installed.

+EXE files look more serious and familiar. without EXE files some poeple may just not know what to do and won't spend time reading the readme.

I know that! Allas. :}

Maybe one day I try to learn to translate VBS into VB and compile exe's. But that won't be soon.

Anyway: I did these scripts for myself and for mental sport. Public recognition is not my goal but i'm happy if what I do can be usefull for one or two persons.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2.6:

-Added HTML output with tables and links to folders B)

-Improved: TXT output sorted by folder, then by type of change: easier reading

-Fixed: Program not responding (infinite loop) in some case

-Fixed: Files with "hidden" and "system" atributes not listed twice

Edited by Fredledingue

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...