Microsoft Powertoys

T D

Hello

Can someone tell me the switches for all the Microsoft powertoys? Not the installshield ones that use /S /V/qn?

Or am I going to have to repackage it or use AutoIt?

Thanks

I install TweakUI, SyncToy, and Power Calculator as part of my unattended routine. All of these can be extracted using WinRAR to reveal the .msi file, which can be edited with Orca (to remove the stock shortcuts) and installed using standard /qb or /qn switches. The HTML Slideshow is another easy .msi extract/install, but the Raw Viewer extracts to Local Settings --> Temp (as an .msi) and can be grabbed there. I suspect other powertoys can be similarly installed. The Image Resizer toy is a .dll that could probably be copied to system32 and registered, for example. I use AutoIt to perform the actual installs:

SplashTextOn("", "" & @CRLF & "Installing Calculator PowerToy..."  & @CRLF & "", 500, 55, -1, -1, 1, "Arial", 12, 12)
Sleep(1000)
SplashOff()
RunWait('msiexec /i "' & @ScriptDir & '\Extras\PowerToys\PowerCalc.msi" /qb')
Sleep(100)
FileCreateShortcut( @SystemDir & "\PowerCalc.exe", @ProgramsCommonDir & "\Accessories\Power Calculator.lnk")
Sleep(1500)

SplashTextOn("", "" & @CRLF & "Installing Synchronize Folders PowerToy..." & @CRLF & "", 500, 55, -1, -1, 1, "Arial", 12, 12)
Sleep(1000)
SplashOff()
RunWait('msiexec /i "' & @ScriptDir & '\Extras\PowerToys\SyncToy.msi" /qb')
Sleep(100)
FileCreateShortcut( @ProgramFilesDir & "\Microsoft\SyncToy\SyncToy.exe", @ProgramsCommonDir & "\Accessories\Synchronize Folders.lnk")
Sleep(1500)

SplashTextOn("", "" & @CRLF & "Installing TweakUI PowerToy..." & @CRLF & "", 500, 55, -1, -1, 1, "Arial", 12, 12)
Sleep(1000)
SplashOff()
RunWait('msiexec /i "' & @ScriptDir & '\Extras\PowerToys\TweakUI.msi" /qb')
RunWait("REGEDIT /S" & @ScriptDir & "\Extras\PowerToys\TweakUI.reg")
Sleep(100)
FileCreateShortcut( @SystemDir & "\tweakui.exe", @ProgramsCommonDir & "\Accessories\System Tools\TweakUI.lnk")
Sleep(100)
DirRemove( @ProgramsDir & "\Powertoys for Windows XP", 1)
Sleep(100)
DirRemove( @ProgramsCommonDir & "\Powertoys for Windows XP", 1)
Sleep(1500)

regsvr32 /u /s file.dll

You mean regsvr32 /s file.dll

Thanks elajua but what are the dlls (other than phototoys.dll for image resizer) for wallpaper changer and tweak ui?

<Edit> on second thoughts, I'll use the addon for tweak UI.</edit>

Thanks blinkdt, but I'm not a big fan of AutoIt. Where did you get the MSI's from? Did you repackage them or download them or what.

I appreciate the help elajua and blinkdt :)

Edited by T D

one way of doing it is this wasy

run the "Image Resizer Powertoy for Windows XP " than it will extract the .MSI file into your C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations

copy that file out of there and than

its just /passive

to install slient

i just the /S /v/qn and can't see the gain from doing it different other that extracting the msi and using /passive or hacking away at it.

why for you not want to use traditional methods?

"not a big fan of AutoIt." Say what? :D AutoIt rules! I've converted all of my batch files to AutoIt routines, the splash screens are a nice addition to the install routine. IMHO.

"Where did you get the MSI's from?" As I explained, I used WinRAR to extract them directly from the original installer downloaded from Microsoft (right-click, Extract to...) or ran the installer, then snatched them from the Local Settings directory. Plenty of information on this board explaining how that is done.

"Why work with the .msi files?" The ability to edit the .msi directly with Orca or another editor is awesome. I haven't figured it all out, but I now know just enough to be dangerous and continue to learn. That's what it's all about. :P

Edited by blinkdt

Say what? AutoIt rules!

I meant because when you autoit an installation, it's not as good as switches because you can still see the UI.

And also, only Image resizer seems to leave an msi in %temp%.

@oioldman I don't mind switches, it's just that only Image Resizer supports switches.

@elajua Thanks, you gave me an idea about exe and dll files. I just copied the program files folder of wallpaper changer into $OEM$\$PROGS because the only thing in the registry for wallpaper changer is uninstall info.

Thanks all! :)

Edited by T D