How to install Unsigned Drivers (stored on a Remote Server) automatica

jguyomar

I am using RIPREP to deploy WINXP SP2 images to my new workstations.

My RIS Server is WIN2K Server.

I am trying to automate the Drivers Installation. (like many of us! :D )

So I decided to store all the BTS DriversPacks in a Distribution Point on a remote server so that all new PnP Devices be installed when RIPREP reboots the newly installed PC.

Signed Drivers get installed automatically, that is without any user interaction (=Server-Side Driver Installation). :thumbup

But some of the drivers in the BTS DriversPacks are unsigned drivers and those drivers do not get installed automatically. I can still install them (Client Side installation) when the "Found new hardware..." window comes up but that requires me to do it manually which I don't want to given that I will have to install more than 120 PCs using this method very soon. :(

Would someone know a way to modify the registry or another way so that even unsigned drivers can be installed without user interaction, that is via Server-Side installation?

I hope someone will be able to help me out.

J.

If you go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Driver Signing you can choose the ignore option which should hopefully let you install unsigned drivers remotely. The only thing you need to find out is how to make this change via the registry.

Thanks for the answer.

I forgot to mention that during the RIPREP installation, Unsigned Drivers Installation is allowed and is working. For that I used the 2 following parameters in the Answer File riprep.sif:

Unattended]

UpdateInstalledDrivers = yes

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

Once the RIPREP-ed PC boots for the 1st time after the RIPREP installation has completed, the policy "DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore" is still applied so that unsigned drivers should be installed silently but they are not.

The only thing this policy does is telling the OS not to display the Warning window saying that the Driver is not signed! :wacko:

But I am actually looking for a way to automatically, that is without any user interaction, install an UNsigned driver under WINXP!

I don't want to have to install it manually via the "Found New Hardware..." window!! :no:

IF someone knows how to do that, god I can tell I would be really thankfull! :thumbup

J.

You can either download setup ur own cert server infrastructure (which is a mess..) and sign the drivers internally and have the machines trust that CA or... install a kernel debugger and have dpinst.exe install for you (which is alot easier, IMO)

Thanks Br4tt3 for you answer!

But I took a look at all the switches for the "dpinst.exe" utility and could not find one that would enable me to install an UNsigned Driver on a WINXP without any user interaction. :blink:

Could you tell me what would be the command you would use to do that?

J.